The Transformation Of The 180

ashlee18

So I figured I would share some pics of the 180. It is in my garage right now since I won't be setting it up for at least 3 weeks or probably until around Thanksgiving so I can have my brother and dad help us move it. I'll continue this thread with updates on it. Sorry for the bad phone pics.

1014101955.jpg

1014101956.jpg

You can see how big it is by comparing it to the car next to it. I pretty much hate the way the stand and the trim look but we are going to find a way to sand it down and repaint it, or something to clean it up.

:o Oh my... its GIGANTIC! You must be soooo excited!!! I bet you cant wait to have it all set up with the fish inside! :nana

Your fish are going to be on :9

Im very happy for you!!

So with your BF's 300 gal and your 180 gal... you're place is gonna be more water that air! :rofl

Brilliant! ;)

That tank is HUGE!! Are you planning on swiming with the fish...:)

Haha. I can lie down in it lol and have half a foot to spare.

Migaloo - I think your new tank is the same size as mine. Well at least according to your thread they have the same dimensions.

According to the calculator site, it's 174 gallons and not actually 180. But I can live with that lol

That tank is HUGE!! Are you planning on swiming with the fish...:)

Haha. I can lie down in it lol and have half a foot to spare.

Migaloo - I think your new tank is the same size as mine. Well at least according to your thread they have the same dimensions.

According to the calculator site, it's 174 gallons and not actually 180. But I can live with that lol

Yes they would be pretty close... I rated mine at 160 gals according to my litres to gallons conversion chart LOL (based on 600 litres)... Perhaps its a little more :)

Edited by Migaloo

• 1 month later...

More pics!

Tank before:

871006422_photobucket_8937_.jpg

Stand before:

871006422_photobucket_8936_.jpg

Taped up and ready to paint:

871006422_photobucket_8935_.jpg

871006422_photobucket_8934_.jpg

After being painted:

Front

871006422_photobucket_8933_.jpg

Stand:

871006422_photobucket_8932_.jpg

Back - painted:

871006422_photobucket_8931_.jpg

And taped taken off, painting done!

871006422_photobucket_8930_.jpg

We are going to be moving it tomorrow. On Friday I'll be getting new hardware for the stand and gravel. I hope to have it all set up by Sunday. I actually have Sunday off from work so I will be stalking the auction to make sure I win :)

Oh yeah, paint high is all gone lol I literally had to drag myself up the stairs by the railing...it was bad. Then had to sit for a breather. But I guess I should be more specific, it was the paint thinner :P

I can't wait until it is up too! I'm still wondering what color to get for the gravel though. I'm thinking black but that might be too much black. There has to be gravel though, it is a requirement since it will be a show tank near the living room.

I don't think you need gravel for it to be a nice show tank! I consider mine show tanks I guess, and there's no gravel in sight! You could paint the outside bottom glass black and it will look awesome that way. I want to do this, but now that's it's already full of water and fish it would just be too hard, so some other time. I've also seen someone paint it a dark red color, that looked really nice.

Oh no, I'm not saying it is a requirement. I have tons of bare bottom tanks. My dad owns the house we live in and I don't want to hear him griping about it every time I see him lol He is one of those guys that is set in his ways and believes that a tank needs a substrate to look like "a piece of art." And he is also one of those guys that will not let it go. He would die before he stopped bugging me about it :P But I don't mind a small layer of gravel anyway. As long as it isn't blue.

Oh, I see what you're saying :P In that case, I think black gravel would look the best :) I don't think it would be too much black if you had lots of plants, and maybe some driftwood pieces or something- I'm not sure what you're planning as far as decor. It would really make the colors of the fish pop!

Well, how is you dad about river rocks? I started to prefer those over gravel in my goldfish tank. They look especially awesome when some algae is growing on them, I think. Maybe I'm just weird, but I like how that looks. I wish I could have my goldfish tank set up as river tank :D

Oh yay! Its looking fantasic Ashlee - cant wait to see it inside and set up!

Another vote for the black gravel! I went with back gravel and black backround and I must say with the tank lights on it really makes the fish, plants and bubbles stand out so beautifukl and bright - all the colours look so vibrant - in fact anything in the tank stands out (except not so much the black moors LOL!) Anyhow, whatever you use Im sure will look fabulous!

Its so exciting to see this tank getting ready!