Video Of Moving Egg!

Migaloo

I took the BN fry out of their grow-out tank and put them in with my guppies - they are big enough now anyway - to make room for hopefully what will be my goldfish fry!

There were still quite a few eggs in a couple of the plants in the goldfish tank - no clue how many - so I just moved the entire plants into the 10 gallon with the eggs still attached!

I cleaned out the 10 gallon (except the media), filled it with tank water, then in the big tank I carefully put the plants inside a large container and moved them to the 10 gallon, still in their water. The eggs never left their original water.

The eggs are moving - I took a video of one of them! Its so interesting!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZX8iyhQVnQ

Here is my fry tank - filtered and cycled!

15102010183.jpg

I coverel the filter intake basket with some pantyhose to prevent any possible babies from being sucked up.

15102010184.jpg

I dont have another air pump, so I took the outlet tube away to create some movement and bubbles with the trickle of the water - do you think that will be ok, or do I really need to get another air pump?

15102010185.jpg

Edited by Migaloo

I know - its weird how they move! At firt I though I was imagining things - but then they kept doing it!

I just put the video camera on some books and pressed play... the clip shows the movement in a 15 minute period - I just edited out all the minutes that there was no movement - or it would have been extremely boring LOL - However, I didnt edit the speed or anything - thats really how fast they move - fascinating!!

I just noticed one of the babies (not the one in the video)is out of its egg - seems very premature to me... only saw the eggs on wednesday for the first time (its now Friday)...

Its still stuck to the plant and its not moving or anything - are they supposed to wriggle. Perhaps its dead?

15102010187.jpg

I think they start moving after a couple of days?

your video is AWESOME! I would cover the intake with a sponge if you could - I think the current could suck the little ones up to the intake :)

VERY COOL! Keep those videos coming! :whatjust:

They seem to have all hatched now.... I have counted 13, but I know there are more in the plants... omg...im obsessed with them :blink::ill

How do you mean cover it with a sponge Captain Findus? Do you mean put a sponge in the basket thingy? I have put double pantyhose over it... ??

The video is very cool.

What he means by the sponge, like a sponge filter, you can even buy some foam and make one. It would block the intake tube from the fry. You would still get the circulation for filtering the water but it would be less likley the fry would get stuck to it.

I prefer to move the fry to a rearing tank with sponge filter only. Any other filter could kill your fry.:undecided: And the hatching period depends on your temperature. The warmer the water, the faster your fry will hatch. 2-3 days is pretty much the average for several egg laying tropicals. It's what I've noticed in my experience. They hatch after 2-3 days. I live in the tropics though so that was just one of those fringe benefits.:bingo:

At the beginning of your post us said BN.... what does the BN stand for.? THe fry will get sucked up against the panty hose and will die. You need foam over the intake to disperse the suction over a wider area so there isnt enough suction in any one spot to suck the fry. Even the top of the foam up around the tube needs to be tight. (Ive done it too loose and sucked LOTS of fry... Doh!) You need AIR but not current. If the tanks are near each other you may be able to Y off of one of your other tubes to get air to the fry tank... otherwise get another pump. Feed often and change water often.

Thanks for all the great information and advice guys :) !

I was worried about the filter last night so I just switched it off and hoped for the best. Today I went out and bought a new sponge filter and little air pump!

Babies all seem to be doing well. I see them swimming from time to time and some are extremely fast :o . But mostly, they just stick to the plants or glass and dont move much :)

BruceP - yes BN is Brislenose Pleco :)

Thanx Lupin; Bristlenose is what I thought but wanted to make sure. That is the other fish my wife and I breed besides goldies. We mostly raise Albino Longfin Bristle Nosed Plecos.... mostly because they live well with goldies and are so hard to find around here. I'll make a new video of them and post it another time.

Oh - I LOVE longfins! Would love to have one one day... they look so fragile!

Just a little update on babies... not really sure how they're doing. I dont think Ive lost any yet though. This is their 3rd day since hatching. I see them darting around the tank every now and then - sort of vertically, but they spend alot of time laying on the tank floor and will twitch around every so often. Not sure if this is normal ot not. If I look REALLY closely when they swim around I think I can see miniscule fins on their sides :undecided:

I have no idea what Im doing! :doh11:

Yes... I started feeding yesterday and did see them eat a little.

While buying the sponge filter on Saturday, I was getting food for them too, but they were out of fry food at that LFS. I have been feeding hard boiled egg yolk for the time being, but am going to a different lfs today to get some proper food for them.

There also seem to be alot of crumbs building up on my tank floor. I did a water change today, but am too scared to clean the floor because of the babies hanging out there.

I wouldnt really call what they're doing "swimming" - they are mostly not really very active - they just have little burts of activity individually (if that makes sense). Is this normal?

Lupin, how do I keep an adequate supply of algea? Is algea something I can buy? (I do have aglea wafers LOL)

Sorry, I dont know about the algea thing...

Edited by Migaloo

No.lol You gotta culture that. Get a bucket of old tank water, plunk a few white rocks there and then put a pinch of fish food in it. Then put bucket under direct sunlight. In a few days, you shoulda have green, red and brown algae for them to munch munch munch.:)

Oh... silly me! :rofl

*runs off to cultivate some algea*

Thanks again Lupin... as always you are a wealth of knowledge! :)

Couldnt find any First Bites anywhere...Hmmm... I wonder if we even have them in this country :undecided:

I got some liquid fry food which they seem to enjoy... that will have to do :)

Babies seem a little more active today, but still mostly hang around the bottom :)

• 1 month later...