Hello There

molbert73

Hi everyone! My name is Molly. I wouldn't say that I am new to goldfish but I am new to taking care of them the right way. I had lots of them when I was younger and kept them in a bowl :doh11:

Well I recently acquired a few goldfish from a friend of my moms. Her kids didn't want them anymore and I knew that my boys would love to have some fish in the house. Little did I know how bad these little fishies had it. There were three 2-3 in long comets in a 5 gallon tank! My mother in law and I decided that they needed a bigger tank because they weren't even swimming around in there so we went and purchased a 20 gallon and thought that it would be ok to add yet another fish (whoops).

That is when I found this site. I have recently rehomed the 4 comets. They are now living the good life in my friends very large pond.

So tomorrow is the day that I am going to go and get new fish. I'm thinking that I want to get an oranda and a black moor. What are your thoughts on this? I plan on moving up to a bigger tank in the not too distant future (I just have to ease my husband into the whole fish thing)

Welcome! Good worm on finding the comets a good home :)

Orandas and black moors are great fish. Just be prepared to learn how to hand feed since the oranda will beat the moor out for food. My moor was my favorite. They are sweet fish.

Maybe you can try getting two moors instead? :o be aware that they may turn orange, but before you go out and get thm, have you considered fishless cycling? It'll be so much easier on you and the fish!

Welcome to Kokos by the way :D

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I could get 2 moors but I would like 2 different kinds (I'm dorky like that) I promise that I will do what it takes to make sure that they eat ok.

The tank has been empty for a while now and the filter has been running the whole time, and I do plan on bringing a water sample with me to the pet store so they can check it before I bring fish home.

It's just so sad looking at an empty tank.

I've surprised myself with how much I am enjoying having fish in the house when they were supposed to be for my boys. I really find it peaceful to just sit there and watch them and I often find myself ignoring the tv to watch the fish.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kokos and goldfish! Good to have you here. I think oranda and moor would be nice, similar sizes would work best maybe :)

Welcome to koko's :) Goldfish keeping is very rewarding :) I often watch my fish more than the tv ;) There are many color choices in the Moor/Telescope family check out http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish-telescope.htm just to get an idea of the choices available :) Looking forward to meeting your new babies :)

A black moor and an oranda should be fine together. You will just have to hand feed the moor since telescopes are vision impaired due to how their eyes are. They have a hard time finding the food.

Two out of my five fish are telescopes, so I just feed them from the tip of my finger (just moisten it a bit with tank water so a couple pellets stick to it and then aim at the telescope's mouth when he's at the surface).

This actually is a lot of fun to me :)

Just got back from the store! I did end up getting a moor and a red cap oranda. They look so tiny in that "big" tank since I am used to looking at the 4 larger comets that were in there originally.

I am already planning in my head my next tank. My husband wants me to prove myself with these little guys first before we start saving up for the bigger one but we all know how it is going to turn out :yeah:

I will go attempt right now to take some pics of the little cuties.

The woman at the store wondered why I was going with goldfish instead of the tropical ones. I just said that I thought that they were way cuter and had more personality. Plus I want to watch them grow because of my good care :D

The woman at the store wondered why I was going with goldfish instead of the tropical ones. I just said that I thought that they were way cuter and had more personality. Plus I want to watch them grow because of my good care :D

I hate when people are like that. Like tropicals are superior and goldfish are for elementary schools. They got NO clue.

Anyway, can't wait to see pics!

Aww they are so cute and tiny! The only thing I'm not sure about is that rock ornament. I believe it is the one they sell at Pet$mart, and if I remember right it has some quite sharp edges on it.

Maybe I am just too cautious, but I didn't want to have that in the tank with my telescopes to avoid accidental eye injury. But it might be fine actually and I am too paranoid :)

It is pretty blunt. There were some that were really sharp and I thought to myself that if I had to swim near that every day I wouldn't like it so that is why I bought the one I did. If you do think that it is dangerous though I will take it out. Don't want anything that I could have prevented to happen to my fish.

If the edges are smooth enough, then you are most likely fine. But as said. I might be overly paranoid. I personally don't even want fake plastic plants in my tank so my telescopes don't cut their eyes. Just run your fingers tips over it while it is under water, and if it doesn't feel sharp you then it is ok. :)

You could probably also get some sand paper from a hardware store and carefully smooth out sharp corners and edges :)

I hate when people are like that. Like tropicals are superior and goldfish are for elementary schools. They got NO clue.

Anyway, can't wait to see pics!

Oh I know. I get ignored while looking at the goldfish but should I happen to wander to the tropicals, they waltz right over. It also annoys me how people tell me to give up on the goldies and go for cichlids because they are "real" fish.