We Have Done Everything Wrong!

Guest Groovy Lily

Guest Groovy Lily

My big hearted boyfriend (St. Francis Assisi) and I spontaniously acquired 4 goldfish, and in our good (though misguided) intentions, we have managed to do everything wrong so far. Amazingly enough they are still alive and seem to be doing well for the time being. We currently have them in a 10 gallon tank and are using and Aqueon quietflow 10 filter. We are seeing all over the place that we should have them in a much larger tank, but unfortunately, much larger is out of our budget for the moment. Anyone have suggestions on how we can compensate for the small tank until we can get a larger one? Common sense would tell me to get a higher capacity filter and add a bubbler and maybe a live plant. Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Lily

What kind of goldfish are they? If they are commons/comets you will probably want to bring them back to the store. Are they fancies? commons/comets need 20 gallons each and fancies need 10 gallons each.

Firts you will probably want t oworry about doing 50%-70% water changes daily since you are now cycling your tank. Have you read about the nitrogen cycle?

:D And don't worry we all started out there at some point :heart What matters now is you're trying to do the best thing for them. You're in the right place :)

Edited by Haruka

Welcome to Koko's Lily! Don't despair most all of us started out in similar situations! Do you know which types of goldfish you have common or fancy? If you can't afford a larger tank perhaps you could use a large rubbermaid container as a tank, you can't see them from the side but it gives them more room for less money, just know that you can't fill them to the top so get one with more gallon room than you need. How did you acquire them? Could you return some of them? Just some things to think about :) Also, make sure you do get a larger filter and do 100% water changes everyday! Goldies are poop machines.

Welcome :) Just wanted to add that if you use a rubbermaid, it's a good idea to stack 2; more strength for not a lot of cash. You'll definitely want a second filter and a bubble source (wand or air stone) is always good. If you post pics, we can tell you what kind they are...And we loooove goldie pics :D

Guest Groovy Lily

I can't seem to get a good picture of them... I will try tomorrow when I get my regular camera.

We think they are Comets, but we are not sure. 1 is red and white and the other 3 are white.

We got them from the carnival, thinking "wouldn't it be fun to have some fish" so returning them isn't an option. 0.0~/~<

I will try to post pictures when I can get some clear ones. :)

Rubber maids is your best bet. Any filters you get for the rubber maids can be used on the new 80 gallon or bigger tank you are going to need for these 4 goldfish. Keep an eye on graigslist.org and maybe something well come along you two can afford that you can buy each other for Christmas.

Only other choice is to ask around some of the pet shops and see if one of them well take them.

She meant craiglist. ^^^^ :)

Check the shubunkin, comet and hibuna (common goldfish). Your goldfish if they have one tail only may easily be any of the three. All three require a more spacious tank than fancy varieties do. In fact, these ones are better off kept in the ponds than tanks. They can reach 12-18 inches in length when well cared for. If you can find a fiberglass tub, I'd get that one. It's cheaper than tanks usually even with the same water volume.:bingo:

Althogh the conditions in your tank are bad, it is only half your fault. After all most of us shared the "common knowledge" about how goldfish don't need much room. I started out with 8 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank myself. Getting a large rubbermaid tub is your best bet since they're quite cheap.

Here's why.........they get HUGE. I have one Common goldfish, Spot, in my 90 gallon tank. Not including his big tailfin his body is as big as my hand!

fish-sept-2010-38.jpg

I have often thought of rehoming him to a pond (1st of all I haven't found one without regular fish that might eat him :thud) & 2nd I am REALLY attached to him. So I have lots of filtration & do regular BIG water changes.

As others have said....you came to the right place. We have all started with too many fish & not enough water!!!!!!

There you go, Lily! Great advice and I too would recommend rehoming them as you're definitely overstocked. The final proof is Jeana's picture of Spot and that gives you an idea of how large your guys are going to get! ;)

• Supporter

hi lily,

welcome to kokos.. how'd you go with the rubbermaid tub? also i noticed a typo in one of our members that pointed out a really affordable site.. it's craiglist.com they have monster sales.. and i think $1.00 per gallon? but i'm from australia so i could be wrong.. check it out, it will be worth your while. and thank you for finding us.. we look forward to seeing you around on the forums.

good luck :)