Size Of Rog

Wendy

Does Rog look like healthy? I have had him for a year this month and he seems kinda small to me. Lately he seems a little floaty and drifty so I put him in the QT with 1% salt. If he wants to he can spend a five minutes picking at the floor of the big tank but sometimes he is lingers near the surface for a long time.

qte279k.jpg

qtd207k.jpg

Do you know how old he is?

What do you usually feed him?

If there is no change in his diet at all, I am wondering if these two signs: the tail and starting to get floaty issues, are all signs of stunting. He does look stunted if he hasn't grown at all in a year.:(

he is gorgeous.

but I agree - the very long tails usually are sign of stunting :(

try and feed him a high veggie diet - that sometimes helps with floatiness a little. :)

I really don't think he is stunted since I have had him for a year in a huge tank with big water changes, pro gold, peas, oranges occasionally.

He is from a vvvvv and I highly doubt he was there for long. They either die or get sold! I guess he could have been stunted from the breeder how often does that happen? Seriously doubt he is a return.

I just bought bloodworms he likes those. He was drifty and floaty before the bloodworms.

Oh how I want to grow him big:)

Edited by Texana

Rog is so cute even if he is small. :) My blackmoor is also very small and I got him 14 months ago. He is a real piggy about his food but he just doesn't grow. Maybe goldies are like humans some just stay small no matter what. :rofl

I believe fish can be stunted for life if they are kept in poor conditions when they were young. So even though he has more than enough space and good conditions now, he would remain permanently stunted. The extra long fins are always a giveaway for a stunted goldfish- the fins keep growing, but the body doesn't. So the floatiness could be because of his organs growing more than his stunted body will allow, therefore putting extra pressure on his swim bladder.

BUT, Roger is so beautiful regardless. I hope it doesn't get too serious and he can stay with you for a long time yet.

Sakura explained what I was going to add. I got distracted earlier and could not remember to add more info why I thought floatiness here also points to stunting.:blink: She is definitely spot on though. Even if you have your fish for a year and the growth rate has not significantly changed, chances are good it is stunted for life. All we can do now is provide the best environment possible for them.:)

I believe fish can be stunted for life if they are kept in poor conditions when they were young. So even though he has more than enough space and good conditions now, he would remain permanently stunted. The extra long fins are always a giveaway for a stunted goldfish- the fins keep growing, but the body doesn't. So the floatiness could be because of his organs growing more than his stunted body will allow, therefore putting extra pressure on his swim bladder.

BUT, Roger is so beautiful regardless. I hope it doesn't get too serious and he can stay with you for a long time yet.

I guess you do learn something new everyday. I never knew that the long tails are a sign of the goldie being stunted.

I do have a follow up question regarding this though, aren't the some goldies that are not stunted but have very long tails? I thought I had seen some on the Rain Garden listings?

For those variants who do sport long tails NORMALLY, that doesn't always indicate stunting on their part. Which goldies were you referring to? This one? http://www.raingarden.us/goldfish-veiltail.htm Broadtails and veiltails are exceptions. They do have elongated tails, a result of manmade selection.

The eye issue has its own exceptions. Moors, celestials and possibly frogheads are exceptions. The eye issue does not easily apply to them as it's difficult to determine if they are stunted by this method.

I think he just fine he has grown some in the year you have had him right :) maybe he's just a slow grower ;) his tail is very pretty and long :) do you have a before and after pic at all?? here's mine...

when I first got Bubbles

Bubbles8.jpg

Now

ctmpphpplOYmx.jpg

Note the longer tail :)

And lots of greens and water changes :) always a good thing :)

Edited by shellbell4ever

I don't have a good before picture right now but he looked pretty much the same maybe a slightly shorter tail.

Here is a funny one. Rog imitates a plant:

qtl197k.jpg

I say give him time, Tex. Don't forget that genetics play a part in it too. I have a telescope (Stimpy) who is much smaller than the rest of my herd and I bought him at the same time as his brother, Ren. Ren is about 50% larger than Stimpy, same age. With your good care I'm sure he'll hit a growth spurt and do his thing! ;)