Using Prime

npila1

I'm doing a water change and using Prime for the first time. I was wondering whether the new water with the Prime added needs to sit for some time before being added to the tank or whether I can add it right away. I also just read in another post that prime can cause the tank pH to go up a lot. Right now, I'm having problems with my pH in the tank being low (around 6.4), so I'm worried prime will cause a huge change in the pH... Basically, the primed water in the bucket right now has a pH of 6.8 and I want to know if it's possible that after being added to the tank, the pH will rise more.

Please advise!! I'm in the middle of doing the water change, so if someone can reply soon, that would be great!!

Edited by npila1

I always let the water with prime sit for 5 to 10 minutes before I add it to the tank, although I recently read how others add the prime to the TANK and just fill it with the new water. I don't know anything about prime and the pH though, I never had any issues with it :undecided:

Dechlorinators bind chlorine and chloramine instantaneously so you're fine adding water almost immediately.

What are your KH and GH, npila? The pH fluctuations may actually be a result of your low hardness levels. Once they're elevated, it becomes increasingly difficult to actually lower your pH. You want your pH nowhere below 7 for goldfish. Acidic water is just not compatible for them in the long run.

I don't have a kit for KH and GH, yet. I never had problems with pH before, this only came up a couple of days ago. How can I increase my KH and GH?

I'm trying to gradually increase the tank pH now through water changes. After the change I just did it went up to 6.6-6.7. I also read somewhere that aquarium salt (I have API aq salt) increases the pH - is that true?

Add crushed corals. Even if you attempt to increase your pH with water changes, the pH is bound to change back unless something in your tank is adding calcium that would help increase the pH for the time period. You'll need to increase the hardness levels to prevent the pH from falling back however. Only through elevated hardness can you achieve the pH you want.

You're not supposed to use sodium chloride on a permanent basis even if it helps increase the pH. My answer is no, it doesn't. You still need to add calcium based products to help increase both the pH and hardness levels. That's why I suggested to you the crushed corals as it does increase both being made mostly of calcium carbonate.

Kent's liquid calcium available in pet stores is basically calcium chloride but it increases only hardness level and not the pH itself. Still useful though if you already have high pH (with no desire to elevate it further) while still having soft water. It's rare for pH to exceed 8.6 so even if your pH reaches that peak, that's not an issue with your goldfish.

Prime shouldn't change your pH. I've used it for years without a problem. I just recently bought some crushed coral and only need about half the bag if you want me to send you some. Thats if you can't find any :). I can send some to anyone that needs it.

• Admin

Personally i like Buff it up, since i moved to OR my Kh drops alot through out the week and gets worse during winter time, since all the water here is rain run off, so the more it rains the softer my water gets here. :(

Yeah, my kh is pretty much as low as it gets here. Luckily it doesn't change but I guess I'll start testing it during rain and the winter. We have lake water so I'm sure that it is effected by the rain.

Thanks for the replies!

Ashlee, thanks a lot for offering to send me some of the crushed coral! It would be wonderful if you could send it and of course I can send you money for the coral and shipping. Otherwise, I can try buff it up, as koko suggested.

It was probably my post you read about Prime increasing the pH. But it turned out that the Prime had nothing to do with it after all. What I ended up needing to do was let the water sit for a few hours in a tub with aeration for the pH to rise and stabilize. I have VERY hard water. And aeration turned out to be the key. Sakura straightened me out! :bingo:

Gas exchange. When aeration lifts off the CO2 content which is responsible for acidfying the water, it does cause the pH to fluctuate in the process. This is only temporary though and can still be manipulated if you have low KH.

I put the prime straight in the tank, the flow soon disperses it, such a small amount for a large tank anyway.

Agree about the aeration raising the pH, mine comes out of the RO at 4.0, 24 hours aeration 6.5. The oxygen latches onto the free hydrogen ions thus reducing their impact i.e.pH (power of Hydrogen) gets nuked :)