Fish Has Ich

kiesha

Hi... Ny goldfish has ich. I brought in some fish from a local fish store that I usally don't have problems with. I did everything wrong. My issue is this, there is nowhere I can go to get medicine right now[i had a bag full of meds but decided they were too old and threw them away :( ] Anyway, I won't get off until 6-7pm tomorrow night. Will my fish survive until then? I just noticed the spots on him. Thanks for any help :)

Also if you have suggestions for meds, please let me know.

Yep. Add salt. Do you still remember the dosage? Start with a teaspoon per gallon. Add another two sets in the next 12 hours each. Total to 3 teaspoons per gallon. Keep temp to 78 degrees Fahrenheit as already suggested and keep water well aerated and clean.

:goodpost

Get some regular aquarium salt and raise the salinity to 0.1% (1 teaspoon per gallon). Repeat this two more times in 12 hour increments until you are at 0.3%. Do not use any medications. Clean water will do the trick too and make sure you vacuum the bottom of the tank or any gravel you have to get rid of fallen cysts.

Thanks guys.

I have no way to get anything until tomorrow but I have to be @ work by 7:30 am so I won't be able to get anything until I am on my way home around 6pm...will he make it until then? This is my baby, I have had him for almost 5 years but never had an issue. Thanks for all of your help so far, I appreciate it.

Does he gasp at all? Pine away? Clamped fins? A healthy fish wioth strong immune system will survive easily. I'd say feed him nutritious foods especially high in vitamin content until you have the salt. Clean water is also your friend.

Does he gasp at all? Pine away? Clamped fins? A healthy fish wioth strong immune system will survive easily. I'd say feed him nutritious foods especially high in vitamin content until you have the salt. Clean water is also your friend.

He was under the log just staying off to himself. I fed them and he came out which is when I noticed it. I am going to try to see if nnnnnn has some salt in the morning. I hope so, then I can work on it before work.

Thank you

Edited by kiesha

If your tank temperature never falls below 78 degrees, then you don't need to. However if there are certain periods the temp falls, then you'll need the heater on to keep temp consistent.