Bacteria? Parasite? Bullied? Can't Figure It Out

kristen12

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level?0

[*]Nitrate level? don't know because I don't have anything yet to measure it and I am leaving to go away for 4 days tomorrow!!

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.2 ph - I have crushed sea shells in the filter

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 6.5 well water

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? 72

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons. established tank...goldies now for several months and before that was a tropical community tank with no issues.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquaclear 110 and Penguin Emperor 400

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every 4 days about 20-25%

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 faintails, 1 oranda and 1 black moor - all between 2-4 inches each

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Amquel plus

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? peas/cucumbers/grapes 1-2 times/week and also daily either Aqueon goldfish color pellets or freeze dried mysis shrimp or bloodworms or daphnia. BUT I only feed one time/day usually.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? just put in the baby Oranda about 1 week ago and 4 weeks prior, added the black moor

[*]Any medications added to the tank? no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? none

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? YES!!!! ugh!! Black moor is floating at top, stays secluded, no fin fraying BUT at times all fins are clamped and tilts to the side and gills and mough barely moving, BUT when I feed, he/she perks right up and comes over to eat...but fish peck at moor's fins a lot and moor swims away. Also, I have to hand feed the moor as it cannot see food well. But after it eats a bite or too, it stops moving and goes back to its spot and clamps its fins and acts very lethargic until I make it move. When it was in the QT, it was treated with Tetra Parasite Guard for 3 weeks for anchor worms (I explained in another thread that I had picked 2 off of it and then the wounds healed fine)...when I first put it in this main tank with the others (but Oranda wasn't in it yet), it stayed isolated toward the middle of tank as it if were uncomfortable in its surroundings.. Fins were up though and it eventually seemed more comfortable and swam around. But in the last week, it has been lethargic and top floating with little or no gill or mouth movement most of the time. It's top fin is clamped always, but sometimes ALL of them are. AND to make matters worse, I have to leave tomorrow for 4 days (we never go ANYWHERE) and no one will be around to check on them or feed. I have given all fish Jungle Bacterial pellets also over the last few days, but it doesn't seem to be getting better. ALso, when he hovers at the surface, many times part of his eye or back is out of the water a tiny bit. Is this a bacterial infection, parasite infection or stress from bullying? What should I do? I have the QT tank, but I have a new ryukin in it now that bottom sits like it is dead...I change the water daily and fixed the PH and it seems to possibly be better, but that is a whole other issue - what I am trying to say is that the QT is not available right now for the moor.

the baby oranda came from the lfs. The owner said he hadn't started developing his wen yet so no one seemed to want him so of course, I bought him for $1....I QT him for 4 weeks....before the baby oranda was in QT, the black moor was in QT and he was in QT for 4 weeks also. I haven't noticed the moor pooping at all...the gills on the oranda look normal and the black moor's gills look normal...his gills are just are not moving a lot. The other 3 fish in the tank (and oranda) are active and acting fine with no signs of anything. No stringy poop or anything. It is very strange. The poop that I vaccum up in the tank is normal short pieces that are brown or dark orange in color. This morning the black moor is actively swimming around the top of the water with no fin clamping, but usually in the morning he is like that but as the day goes on, he slows down. All of the other fish are constantly swimming normally. If he is still alive when I return which I am hoping and praying he will be, I will take a short video and post it if he is still acting strange. Thanks for the reply - what do you think?

It's hard to say. You did say your other fish peck on him a lot. Maybe when you're out for awhile, your other fish are possibly tormenting the moor. It can happen. I'd say get a divider and then add live plants (disinfected) for him to take refuge. Is that possible for you before you go elsewhere? I'd try the cryptocoryne. These ones can survive a few days without lights as they're low lighting plants, therefore, relatively undemanding and easy to keep.

I actually do have a divider and only have plastic plants right now, but I do have soft ones in the tank, so I can just move some into his area and pray he does ok. Thanks for the idea! I'll update when I return.

I am sorry to report that I just got back from vacation and my black moor is dying. He is floating at the top on his side, his little fins trying to move, he is trying to breath, but has lost most of his color and cannot swim. I can't put him in the QT tank because the baby ryukin is there. I don't think he is going to make it much longer. :( I am very sad, he has a nice fish and learned to be hand fed almost immediately. And he had a super long gorgeous tail. I am going to look at how to euthanize. I really liked this little fish. he tried to hold on so hard, but he must have had some kind of bacterial infection?? The only thing I see wrong with him physically is that he has red spots under his chin...I looked it up and it sounds like something called Costia, but all of my other fish are completely fine and swimming around and begging for food. Thanks for all of the help. Assuming he is going to pass any minute, RIP little black moor. I wish I could have done more.

I don't think he felt very squishy. I mean not abnormally squishy if that is what you mean. I held him in my hand, but really didn't push hard on him. Right after I typed my last reply, he passed in a bowl. Then my husband and I buried him outside as best we could, as it is dark out. Also, the pond store where I bought him from was just closing and I called them and asked about any of the other moors who had the anchor worms (remember this one had them in the beginning) and the guy told me that they entire batch died about a month ago even after they treated them 3 times total for anchor worms. I don't know if he is telling the truth, but it would now make sense. SO maybe he did have some awful bacteria the whole time. In QT he got parasite treatment and I gave him anti-bacterial food, but maybe it was resistant and it took him over after he got stressed in the new tank. Who knows, but I will really miss the little guy. He had such a personality. I will get another black moor eventually but not from the same place.

I'm so sorry.:( It looks like this batch of moors may have very weak resistance too but juvenile goldies are not always as durable as the adults. Most likely if they had suffered a HEAVY infestation of anchorworms, then they are easily succumbed to bacterial infections. A heavy infestation of parasites especially fish lice and anchorworms will permit columnaris and/or Aeromonas hydrophila to infiltrate blood vessels from all points and weaken the fish.

You said he lost a lot of color? What color did he turn to? White?:o

that is probably what happened I am guessing too. He was doomed from the beginning :(....he went from jet black to a lighter black with a goldish color to whitish/goldish black in the very end if that makes sense. His fins were still darker but not black, kind of like a dark dark grey. Thanks for all of the condolences and help. He lived almost exactly 2 months with me :(

Bacterial. That just sucks. I'd just avoid buying fish that recently have been infected heavily from parasites. You never know how many more health issues it will have especially with immune system already compromised. It's frustrating at the same time to constantly treat for them unless you don't mind using up your resources to nurse them back to health. You'll be better off buying a perfectly healthy fish for a new beginning.:heart

I am so sorry about the little guy he sounded like a sweetheart. I would definitely do what Lupin suggests on your next hunt. Try and scope out diffrent pet stores and look for healthy tanks with lively fish. It does indeed sound like he had a bad shipment and just succumbed. I am so sorry :(

I definately will. It stinks because the pond store for sure must have had a bad shipment, because my other fish are from there and are healthy. Should I worry about the other fish contracting whatever bacteria he had? In other words, how long does it take for another fish to get sick from the sick one. I will keep a close eye on everyone (do anyway :) , but will look for any of the same behavior and hope none get sick!!!

I'd do a large water change to help reduce the bad bacteria. Vacuum thoroughly. At this point, keep a close watch only. No need to treat with anything which could otherwise prove damaging to your healthy fish. As long as they don't get injured by anything especially abrasive decors, you're in safe zone.

I can do a 50% tomorrow..is that large enough? I just did a 50% change last Thursday before I left. I was going to do a 20% tomorrow, but can do 50%. Sometimes with the large changes, there is such a HUGE difference in my well water ph and aquarium ph, that I usually like to do smaller ones more frequently, because too much of a shock sends my smallest, the Oranda, bottom sitting for a day or so. And I don't have the means to let the water "age"...mmmm maybe I'll do 20% tomorrow and 20% the next day.

Also, I do have a fake piece of driftwood in the tank. I want to take it out, but they all love to swim through and around it right now at their current size. But I saw a goldie tank online with a piece of driftwood on a base that looked neat. It was rounded with large holes in it and seemed to have no sharp edges, but I can't seem to find out where to buy one. Maybe tomorrow I'll take the piece out that I have just to be on the safe side and replace it with some more soft silk plants until I can find something that they can play in.

I'd do small water changes at a few hour interval tomorrow. Can you do that? Better that than even less.

I don't feel comfortable with decors with holes. I always have vision flashes of goldfish squirming around the holes.:doh11:

Edited by Lupin

ok I'll do that...I know what you mean about the holes, but these were big smooth holes and the wood was flat and smooth, kinda like a "modern looking" driftwood. It was on rate my fish tank site and the person had bubble eyes in the tank. I probably won't be able to find the piece anyway. Maybe I could email them.