Filter Suggestions

Hi guys. I have a question about filters. I just upgraded my two tetra whisper filters to two aquaclear 70s for my 55 gallon tank. Tomorrow a guy is coming by to drop off his 180 gallon tank. It has everything except the filters.

Assuming I use the same two filters that I have on my 55, already 600 gph, what filter or filters would you suggest for the remaining 1200gph needed? I will try canisters if needed.

I'll be keeping everyone in their current tanks for another three weeks to let the current filters get seeded a bit more and to afford the new filters.

Most bang for Your buck would be 2 Aquaclear 110's @ 500gph each , then add one of Your AQ 70's for a total of 1800 gph.

Save Your remaining AQ 70 for another tank.

I buy these on Ebay , even with shipping You will save over 20$ each .

This Ebay vender sells them constantly for 49$ plus shipping .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Aqua-Clear-110-500-Power-Filter-AquaClear-Aquarium-NEW-/290487597216?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a268f8a0

:exactly Aquaclears I think are the best. I have canisters on my reef tanks and personally I just find them harder to maintain than the good old aquaclears. :)

Would that work? I thought that with my two filters plus two 110s I would still need another filter for the remaining 200. Maybe just get 3 ACs 110? Or use my two plus two 110s plus one smaller one? Or since I am going to be understocking this tank, would it be a big issue to not get to the 1800?

Sorry , My math was wrong . You are correct ! To get to 1800 gph You would need 3 AQ 110's plus 1 AQ 70 . The AQ 110 is 14" wide , so hopefully You have enough room on the back of Your 180 gal for 3 AQ 110's and 1 AQ 70. If not enough room , You will have to use a canister filter .

I use to have an aquaclear and just never trusted the thing or liked it.

I would get a few Rena xp 4 cansters if you like canisters or some of the Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter that is the filter I well get from now one no more canisters for me.

I like my canisters. In europe they don't sell the HOB filters anymore - I don't know why!

I have a couple Eheim canisters - way to expensive for their quality (the only good thing with them is that they come with all the media).

I LOVE the JBL CristalProfi 1500 - those are awesome.

I also heard great things about the Renas - but they are not sold here.

I would get a few Rena xp 4 cansters if you like canisters or some of the Marineland Emperor Bio-Wheel 400 Power Filter that is the filter I well get from now one no more canisters for me.

I only have one question. Could I pull out the cartridges and shove media in there instead? Like sponges and such? Since I already have one penguin and can't get the cartridges around here.

None of mine have stuff in them that come with them except my rena. It come with some sponges and those are still in there. The rest is filter floss and some ceramic balls.

I think that three AC 110's plus a good canister to get you to 1800 gph would be your best bet. I use two AC 70's and a 110 on my 55 gal tank, and once I get my 120 gal tank set up I'll be using three AC 110's. It's always better to have over filtration than under filtration! ;)

Well I plan on still using my two AC 70s so I just need to get the last 1200. I'm still trying to decide. The three penguins would be 1200 exactly, while the three ACs would be 1500 or 300 over. I won't be buying anything for a couple of weeks still since I have no money after buying the tank lol

Well I plan on still using my two AC 70s so I just need to get the last 1200. I'm still trying to decide. The three penguins would be 1200 exactly, while the three ACs would be 1500 or 300 over. I won't be buying anything for a couple of weeks still since I have no money after buying the tank lol

I recently upgraded to a larger tank as well.....I had emperor filters and a canister on the old tank so I got an aquaclear 110...My recomendation is get one emperor 400 and one aqua clear 110, and one canister filter...I love my emperor and my aquaclear, and I really can't say one is superior to the other...I do think the aquaclear cleans the poo better, but with the media basket, i feel that the emperor has better biological....used together, i feel its the best filtration option for a large tank on a budget....I reccomend the canister because they just rock!....as for canisters, i love eheim, but then again this is the only canister filter i have owned...