[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrite Level? no test kit

[*]Nitrate level? no test kit

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.6

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drops

[*]Water temperature? No thermometer--but slightly cooler than room temperature

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 55 gallons, been running one day :). However, this "injury" has been there for at least a month, which occurred in a 5 gallon tank.

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin 350 filter

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Haven't changed the water yet, but I plan on doing weekly 20% water changes.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? Two fish; one ryukin (2 inches?) and one oranda, the fish in question (3 1/2 inches?)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? API Stress Coat +

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I am currently feeding a pea to each fish (for buoyancy problems with the ryukin which have been solved)and aqueon sinking granules. Planning to purchase ProGold soon.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Two swollen slightly pale "rays" on the fish's tail, with a small bump near the base of the tail (see pictures)

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? No

I can't exactly remember when the fish (oranda) got this problem, it was right around the time I started taking care of them instead of my parents (about 2 months ago). But I do know that when I first noticed it, the tail fin slowly began to split between the two "rays" from the middle of the fin (not from the edge). Then it was completely separated, but healed quickly, and now is attached like normal. I first thought it was just a wound from bullying by a marigold swordtail (don't ask why my dad decided to introduce this fish, this is why I am taking care of them now :) ). But since it hasn't gone away for a long time now, I am a little concerned. The swollen parts are not fuzzy or red looking at all, and they aren't really noticeable unless light is shining on them; they are paler than the rest of his fin, almost white. The pictures below were taken 9/27. The blue arrows are pointing to the swollen "rays" and the red arrow is pointing to the small lump right at the base of his tail. Any suggestions/guesses as to what this could be and what I should do about it?

bubba0.jpg

bubba01.jpg

Is there a way to get clearer shots? That's vaguely familiar. One of my ryukins had something similar to that but was never bothered by that. It did heal over time though simply with clean water.

Could you try testing for nitrite and nitrate? As long as both are within safe range, that's simply your goal. That should heal over time.

Is the swordtail still there? Swordtails are more aggressive than platies. They are less compatible with slow moving fish than platies are.

I don't have any other camera besides my phone, so I'm afraid that's the best I can do at the moment. :/ I just wanted to make sure it didn't look like a bacterial/parasitic infection... I do have a feeling it will go away on its own though, it already seems smaller now compared to those pictures which were taken 2 weeks ago. It's probably just taking longer than I thought it would. Also, I will try to get a full testing kit asap. And yes, the swordtails are long gone, I gave them to my boyfriend's parents who have a really nice planted 55g tank. They seem much happier there anyway. :) Thanks!