New Fishie

rai-nbow

I'm not so sure about Mr. Fishie's (no name yet) health. He's twitching all over the place and seems to be having some buoyancy problems. Which is odd seeing as he hasn't eaten anything and the tank is fresh and I did a water change this morning. His gills are really dark and have been since I got him. I don't think the salt is helping since he's opening and closing his mouth insanely, but then if he has an infection or has gill flukes, the salt will get rid of them. Sooo, not sure what to do about that. I kinda wanna give him fresh water, but then if his conditions are caused by parasites, he needs the salt and meds.

[*]Ammonia Level? N/A

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? Barely any, clean tank

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4ish

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7ish

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? api drops

[*]Water temperature? 80

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 10 gallons, several months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Aquatech 10-20 gallons

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? Only had him a day, but I did a 25% change this morning

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 1, 2.5 inches

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? None

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? He hasn't eaten anything.

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Duh.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Salt. 10% thus far, prazi

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? grayishskin, but that seems to be improving

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? twitching, staying on the bottom, swimming problems, gasping

What do you guys think? Just keep an eye on him and keep you posted? :undecided::please

To me it sounds like he may have flukes (bottom sitting, gasping, dark gills, twitching). I would suggest treating with prazi as soon as possible.

To me it sounds like he may have flukes (bottom sitting, gasping, dark gills, twitching). I would suggest treating with prazi as soon as possible.

That's what I'm thinking. :undecided: He's being treated with prazi right now. Since yesterday. :exactly

With flukes, my experience has been that sometimes things look temporarily worse after you start treating with Prazi. I think the dying flukes irritate the heck out of the fish and make them act tweaky. Hang in there -- if it IS flukes, the Prazi will take care of it.

oh poor guy :( In my experience you really start to see improvement after the 2nd round of prazi - so like after 2 weeks. but the crazy twitching should stop soon. poor guy.

I just wanted to second what Rd and Federica said. When a fish is badly infested with flukes they look really bad when you start the prazi. One of my fantails was acting like yours when I did the prazi treatment and I was sure he wouldn't make it, but after a few days he was much better. Hang in there and good luck. :heart By the way that is one cute fish. :)

I just wanted to second what Rd and Federica said. When a fish is badly infested with flukes they look really bad when you start the prazi. One of my fantails was acting like yours when I did the prazi treatment and I was sure he wouldn't make it, but after a few days he was much better. Hang in there and good luck. :heart By the way that is one cute fish. :)

Thank you, caitie!! He seems to be better today, he's more active. I still can't get him to eat anything though. But I'm definitely more hopeful after everybody's comments!! :heart