Help! My Filter Broke And Im Freaking Out!

BriansMom

Today, I was getting my 50g tank going and adding the water and before I did, I moved the tank my fish is in now (10g) over so I could put the new one there before I filled it.

After I got it filled and its filter going I went over to the old tank and DANG IT, when I unplugged/replugged it in (2 seconds later) I forgot to check to make sure the filter was still going and it was RUNNING without the water going so I think it broke!!! It was probably about a half hour before I noticed.

Now what do I do? My new tank just got filled today so its obviously not cycled and I cant just get a new filter now either because I just spent so much on all my new stuff

I'm freaking out :( Please help me!

I've had my filter stop several times. Take the media out and out it in a bucket of tank water. Then give it a really good scrub down, giving the motor section the most attention. Then let it sit and cool down for a period of time, probably about 30 mins. Then put it back together, add the media and a cup of water and try plugging it in again. I've found that sometimes it just needs a good cleaning and to cool down a bit.

Yeah I have a little air stone in it now and then I bought one yesterday to add to the new tank.

Should I just leave him in the old tank and watch the water levels or add him to the new tank and watch water levels?

Ugh I just tried again, I hear it going but its not going :(

This one is the one that comes with kits at nnnnnn where u buy the cartridge replacements that's black plastic with blue foam over top and my new one is a aquaclear so I assume that won't work.

Ahhhh! I'm so mad at myself and stumped what to do.

Well if you hear it going that is a good thing. It might come back. My friend has a long wooden stick that she pokes into the propeller area to get hers going. I would leave the fish in the old tank until something gets figured out. Maybe someone will come along with more help.

I had similar things happen to me sometimes, that the motor goes, but it doesn't pull up water. This usually happens when I unplug it and plug it back in. I have to leave it alone for a while then, fill it with water, and keep trying over and over to get it back to work. Just make sure your filter media doesn't dry out and the BB in it die!! I'm not sure if leaving it on when it is not working right will do any good, it might just overheat more. I would only do it when you are around, and keep messing with it.

I had one of that type, if I'm understanding your description right. And I thought it was dead once, but when I took it apart (and I mean all the way apart as much as humanly possible) an amazing amount of spongy gook came out of the impeller and then it worked again.

If it is really dead and you end up having to switch to the new filter, you might be able to cut that cartridge open and at least pull off the blue floss type cover and just stuff it in the aquaclear box. That would be better than nothin probably.

fill a terracota plantpot with gravel and place an airline in the bottom of it, that will act as a filter.

The impellors on filters can be a pain, I scrub mine with an old tootbrush every few weekd, shaft as well so that it gets a good contact as they are electro-magnetic

Thank you everyone! Ill just keep my fingers crossed I guess!

So I can't really access anything in the filter to clean. Do I sort of force it to open somehow and clean it and put it back together? Is the impellors located where the little tube connects to the filter inside? I stuck the end of a spoon down that hole but didn't really feel much so maybe I just got to dig around more. How would I get it out? There's an area on the bottom that says "do not remove cover", is that where it is and I open that up?

I can get a picture online of the filter tomorrow, I just don't have internet at my place so I'm doing this on my phone :P

The impeller will be wherever the water gets sucked in. On mine, which was probably a different brand but I think a similar design, the bottom of the part that went down in the tank could come off and I just ran water into the intake grill and down inside it with as much pressure as I could and at as many angles as I could manage, and I shook it a bunch to dislodge the gunk.

I have been using some old Whisper filters and they stop all the time. When I hear the motor running, I move the impeller around and it will start up. Just sticking something down there won't work for my filters.

If you can get to the impeller itself, you can also pop it out and put it back in. Usually that works when moving it around won't. The filters I have had allow for removing the impeller.

Yep. I have some ACs, also. Although, I have always been able to get the Whispers to start, old as they are.

I just realized, on the ACs, you have to pop open the plastic above the impeller to access it. Is there a way to access the impeller by just opening something in the area surrounding it?

Eeek! Its working! Thank you everyone for the help.

I figured out that there was a part that I could take out I thought was connected which held the impellor so I cleaned it off but I think the reason was because that piece wasn't "snapped" in there. I think mine might be a whisper, sounds right anyway. Ahh I am so relieved now, thanks again for the help! You guys save me.