Ph Level

Ruolong

Hi,

As i could read online the best pH for goldfish is 7.5, my tap water pH is around 6.2 which is low (i think).

As i dont live in a city water is not controlled.

I would like to know what could i do to have a controlled environement for my fish as i have had 2 bad experience so far, i lost tropical fishes that my cousin gave me with the aquarium and now i've lost 2 gold fish.

Thx for any help.

Ruo.

You're correct, a pH of 6.2 is very deadly for goldfish! 7.5 is a good number to aim for, but anywhere between 7.2 and 8.0 are going to be good. First of all, what test kit are you using? You want to be using a liquid drop test kit (not a dip strip test kit) as those are the most accurate available. You will want to test your KH as well with a drop test kit. This number tells you how stable you pH will be over time, and to raise pH you basically raise the KH. KH should be higher than 100 in order to keep pH stable.

There are two options for raising your KH (and therefore raising pH) to the proper level. First is crushed coral. Make sure it is pure crushed coral and has no salt water additives, this can be found at most pet stores that carry fish supplies. Pour a cup or two of crushed coral into a mesh filter bag (also sold at pet stores) and add the bag to your filter. Be sure to rinse the crushed coral really well before adding it to the tank, or it will cloud the water.

The second reliable option is to buy "Buff it up" sold online at Goldfish Connection. Buff it up Link With this you add a small amount to the new water during water changes. You will have to determine by trial and error the amount you need to add, but in time you will figure it out and know exactly how much you need to add. If you'd like more info about using this Koko can help you out because she uses it :)

Edited by Sakura

I prefer crushed coral. In my experince "buff it up" does not last long and has to be done every time you change water and sometimes before you change water.

With the coral you just add till you get the results you want and forget it till the coral start to break down (which takes a while) then add again.

Good luck

Is this what i need as crushed coral ?

Coral

How long will the coral last ?

40 pounds will that be enuff ?

Do i really need to add Cycle Biological Water Additive to my new aquarium ?

Thx Ruo

Edited by Ruolong

Yes that is crushed coral should last you a year or so depending on tank size. I use to mix it in the gravel. You can use it in your filter.

Is there a topic which explain how to use coral ?

Will it bring my pH high slowly enuff to be safe for fish ?

Should i bring my KH and PH up before adding a fish for cycling ?

If i put coral in my filter or in the gravel... how much should i use and how often should i put more ?

If i put too much coral will that raise my PH and KH to dangerous level ?

So many questions to make things right... I've killed too many fishes so this time i want to do it the proper way.

Here is a crushed coral use guide. Guide

Yes, it will bring up your pH slowly enough to be safe for your fish.

Yes you should, you should also try a fishless cycle if you can. Never cycle with your fish if you are able to. This causes the fish stress and even fish death if you are not vigilant on your water parameters.

You will want to take about a handful or so of well rinsed crushed coral and put it in a mesh bag or pantyhose and put it in the filter box, or like Hidr said, spread it and mix it through the gravel. Like Hidr said, you only need to replace it once a year.

No it won't, it will most likely only raise your pH to about 7.5-7.6 But use about a handful or so when you're starting out trying to buffer the water.

Hope that helps :D

Crushed coral is the way forward, it will slowly dissolve , not only raising the pH but will also provide a more stable buffer for your water so the KH should also rise. These commercial pH buffers that you can buy off the shelf are full of phosphates which are algae food and as already posted they need to be added on a regular basis which could mean that the pH could alter inbetween dosing. They are a complete waste of money as they cause more problems than good.

Edited by theaquaticlibrary

Yes that is crushed coral should last you a year or so depending on tank size. I use to mix it in the gravel. You can use it in your filter.

Is there a topic which explain how to use coral ?

Will it bring my pH high slowly enuff to be safe for fish ?

Should i bring my KH and PH up before adding a fish for cycling ?

If i put coral in my filter or in the gravel... how much should i use and how often should i put more ?

If i put too much coral will that raise my PH and KH to dangerous level ?

So many questions to make things right... I've killed too many fishes so this time i want to do it the proper way.

Just from my experience....I have used crushed coral for about 2 years now. I was lucky enough that a generous Koko's member sent me a box of it. It was about 5 lbs worth, I still have most of it left. I take an old nylon and put it in the filter, my PH has been great since then.

Now my problem is to find some Ammonia....

I've called Canadian Tire (Yes i'm from Canada), nnnnnn, Co-op Stores... in total... about 20 stores and no ammonia.

I found some in 2 store i should say but they were scented, i dont want my fish to smell like fresh citrus ! :P

Can anyone tell me where to find some or buy some online ?

Now my problem is to find some Ammonia....

I've called Canadian Tire (Yes i'm from Canada), nnnnnn, Co-op Stores... in total... about 20 stores and no ammonia.

I found some in 2 store i should say but they were scented, i dont want my fish to smell like fresh citrus ! :P

Can anyone tell me where to find some or buy some online ?

Have you tried a hardware store? Here in the US, I have seen it at ACE Hardware (a very large jug). You can also get it from companies online that supply chemicals for laboratories, probably in smaller sizes. The key thing is to get pure ammonia. Most ammonia sold in stores for cleaning, etc., has soap in it and you absolutely do not want soap (or scent or other additiives) in the ammonia you will put in your tank. I made the mistake of buying unscented ammonia at the grocery store and it looked like it had no additives listed on the label, so I used it. But later, in the text/fine print on the back of the bottle, I found the word "surfactant". Soap! I had to start all over, rinse all my equipment/filters many times, etc. I had no fish in the tank, but I had to get all the soap out before I added the fish--and I had to start cycling all over. I wish I had read all the text before I started. Someone suggested shaking the bottle and seeing if it foams at all--if it does, it has soap. But after my bad experience, I'll be sure to shake the bottle and read the whole label next time I try to cycle with ammonia!

Very smart getting all this sorted before more fish :) . I have 0 kH so my pH crashes constantly and I need to use the\a lot of coral as gravel. For higher kH and gH you can use in the filter as suggested. My coral has never let me down and holds my water steady at 7.8- what i think is within a good pH range for goldies.

I have found some Ammonia @ 99.9% called anhydrous ammonium.

This is way too dangerous for me to have and i was wondering what would be the best % diluted ?

The guy that i find that from will dilute it to the % that i want.

I was thinking maybe 40%.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thx

Ruo.

So the ammonia you found is commercial ones and 5% - 10% should be the correct concentration to match the common ammonia that people usually get.

From Wikipedia:

Ammonia, as used commercially, is often called anhydrous ammonia. This term emphasizes the absence of water in the material. Because NH3 boils at -33.34 ?C, (-28.012 ?F) the liquid must be stored under high pressure or at low temperature. Its heat of vapourization is, however, sufficiently high so that NH3 can be readily handled in ordinary beakers, in a fume hood (i.e., if it is already a liquid it will not boil readily). "Household ammonia" or "ammonium hydroxide" is a solution of NH3 in water. The strength of such solutions is measured in units of baume (density), with 26 degrees baume (about 30 weight percent ammonia at 15.5 ?C) being the typical high concentration commercial product.[5] Household ammonia ranges in concentration from 5 to 10 weight percent ammonia.

I got my Ammonia... but at what level i do not know... The guy let the gaz bubbled in water for a few minute, at the end he used a paper like tester... and i became really purple. The guy said yep u have ammonia in there.

Cant wait to test it out.

If the % is fair and pp want some i would gladly ship some out. :) I a safe way of course.