The Petstore Can't Help

Guest Equivocal

Guest Equivocal

Hopefully you guys can. I joined in hopes of finding a solution for my goldfish problems lol. I've got a 29 gallon tank with only 1 goldfish. I've had 3 but they keep getting some sort of rot. The first 2 had mouth rot and the other had fin rot and blood streaks in the tail. nnnn had me buy tetra fungus tabs and I followed the directions. None of the fish survived even after I contacted tetra to make sure I followed everything correctly. I took a water sample to nnnn twice and they keep saying my water's fine and this is before using the tablets for fungus. So I purchased another hoping everything would work out[i did a complete water change]. This fish is showing the same symptoms as the other three. The tank was purchased from craigslist new but that's all I know about the tank. At first it appeared to be ich so I raised the temp and added aquarium salt but he's gotten worse in just a few hours.

Fish Pic

Fish Pic

Why I Thought It Was Ich. See The Spots?

The Tank

Edited by Equivocal

Guest Equivocal

Second pic should of been labeled why I thought it was ich. You can see the tiny white spots on his scales.

Edited by Equivocal

hi and welcome! :)

most goldfish problems are easily fixable with clean water and sanitary tanks.

I would not get any more meds, those usually just make the fish even more sensitive. what you do need are water testers. (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate). Then once you test your water and let us know the results we can help you better. Many petstores also test the water for you - but owning the DROP test kits is way easier. (the API is a very good brand)

From what I can see your fish might be stressed from an un cycled tank. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? You can ready more about it on the link in my sig.

Until you get the testers I would do 50% water changes daily. Make sure you clean your gravel very well and also your ornaments.

What is also a good idea to buy is Freshwater Aquarium salt. This alone solves most problems in goldies :)

PS. Oh and most people working at pet stores have NO IDEA what they are talking about :)