I Need To Vent About Work!

Rebecca Hampshire

I am a Senior Nursery Nurse and I look after babies from 6 months to 2 years.

I am having a really tough time at the moment at work with a few of the women I work with. There are four of us who work together and I am the senior member of staff, (not the oldest) I am the person who makes sure things get done appropriatley and I oversee EVERYTHING that happens in our room.

I took 4 days off a couple of weeks ago and when I went back in to work the three women I work with totally ignored me for three whole days! It was sooooooo hard as I have no clue what I had done wrong!

Well since then the atmosphere has gone from bad to worse, I just get ignored all of the time! Even when I have to assert myself if something is not happening or something is wrong with the day to day running! I am a VERY laid back, friendly approachable person and I often take the wrap when it's not my fault. Today one of the girls (the worst one, who is always getting diciplined) mouthed the "F" word at me, when I was asking her about something a parent had complained about!!!

I hate confrontation so I went to talk to my manager about it, but I don't think anything is going to get done about it! I am much older than two of the women and I hate having to go to work to be treated like this, I have worked there for 6 years and the other women are relatively new. It reminds me of being at school and I left school 18 years ago. I have grown up, it's a shame that some people never get past this stage in their lives!

Sorry for long post and it's a bit pointless but I am sitting here stewing over it and I thought I would feel better if I wrote it down!

Thanks for listening

XXX

Edited by U.K. Becs

I think you did the right think talking to your supervisor. Talking to people who act like that won't do any good. Tell him in detail how they act and what they say, if you didn't already do that.

Getting told off by your supervisor will be doing more than you talking to them, I believe.

• Supporter

I hate confrontation so I went to talk to my manager about it, but I don't think anything is going to get done about it! I am much older than two of the women and I hate having to go to work to be treated like this, I have worked there for 6 years and the other women are relatively new. It reminds me of being at school and I left school 18 years ago. I have grown up, it's a shame that some people never get past this stage in their lives!

you're right!.. some people never get past this stage in their lives and it really is a shame. from what you explain, you haven't done anything wrong. you keep reporting incidences to your manager and hopefully the weeds will get weeded out.. in the interim, it's a tough blow. you should never be addressed like this, by anyone. i suggest you keep your own diary of events and record exactly how often and in detail you have addressed your manager about it. this will help in securing your employment if you have the facts written down as things evolve and results that have come from them in good or bad.

i agree, it's a horrible place to be when you are treated this way. they can only keep this act up for so long.. perhaps they will change back to themselves sooner than later for your sake.

thinkin of you xxx

I think you should tell the stupid ones that you are feeling like an outcast and very uncomfortable and ask them what happened because you don't know what has gone wrong.

I think you should tell the stupid ones that you are feeling like an outcast and very uncomfortable and ask them what happened because you don't know what has gone wrong.

No point. If someone already acts so immature, instead of coming to you and telling you why and what problem they have with you, then telling them that you feel like an outcast won't do any good. On the opposite, seeing that their treatment gets you to feel bad will only make them do more stupid crap.

Aaaawwwww! You guys make me feel sooooooooooooooooo much better! Thank you!

I have a feeling that our nursery is going to have a staff shake up. We are having a management meeting on Monday to discuss the staffing structure. I have a feeling that the awful women are going to be separated. They breed negativity and that is NOT good when you work with young children.

I am worried as I have booked more days off next week, wondering what I will return to! I will definitely be recording any more incidents, thats a good idea, thanks

:)

It's impossible for a mature adult to reasonably deal with women still acting like they're in junior high. You definitely made the right choice in talking to a supervisor. I didn't understand that stuff in junior high and I certainly don't get it now :doh11: Hopefully the clique will be split up, best way to deal with that kind of group!

I wonder how much truth they put in their qualifications when they were asking for employment. I'd suspend them if found guilty, if I were in that situation as a supervisor.

Im so sorry you have to deal with this!!

I liked stakos' advice, sounded like there was some money to be made in this or something hehe. I think its horrible they are so childish and rude, without reason and quite possibly just from jealousy. Usually those kind of people get weeded out as they will soon focus on someone else to 'bully' and management notices a theme.

Thank you for all of your replies, you guys are sooooo GREAT!

Well today was much better because two out of the three were not in work today, one was ill and the other had booked a few days off! Thank goodness!

A good day has made me feel much happier and I've actually had a spring in my step at work! AMAZING!

I have had a thought as to why they are acting jealous although I am not sure why anybody would be jealous of this, but I am getting married next April. I NEVER talk about my wedding plans or my other half or even any part of my life I am a very private person at work. The other women are still living at home with their parents with loosers for boyfriends.

Just a thought, but thanks for all of your fab support always.

XXXXX