Innie And Outie

number20121

How old do Goldfish have to be to show innies and outies?

I'd like to know for sure what gender my fish are, and so far I am only convinced that Hugo is a girl, and Orange Fishie a boy. Blacky Fishie also looks very much like she got an outie.

That only leaves Spicey and Chibi. It looks liek they got outies, but I got them for less than two months, Spicey is only about 3.5 inches and Chibi 2.5, both including tail.

Funny thing is, I don't see those breeding stars on Orange Fishie, although he has an innie. And I got him for... almost one and a half years, so I guess he is adult. He also was chasing Hugo a little while ago, but doesn't show those breeding stars.

But he is very attached to Hugo and during the time he was chasing her, he also was quite protective of her, being mean to little Blacky Fishie.

Maybe Orange Fishie is not a boy but a butch. Should change his name to BIG BERTHA. :lol1

Look at the gill plate for tiny clear specks or the pectoral fin edge for tiny white bumps.That is how it is on my fish. Check out your close up photos!

Edited by Texana

Look at the gill plate for tiny clear specks or the pectoral fin edge for tiny white bumps.That is how it is on my fish. Check out your close up photos!

Orange Fishie has very smooth, metallic gills and every tiny bump is visible. I just checked again, there is NOTHING visible. Do males HAVE to have breeding stars?

Well, Orange Fishie grew quite a lot. He is close to 7 inches long now, and still growing. He was really little when I got him, only about 2 inches. You know, one of the tiny 13 cent feeders you get at Pet$mart. Just like Hugo he grew a lot, although Hugo started out a bit larger than Orange Fishie and is the greediest eater of all my fish, and so Hugo is already 8.5 inches.

And as I said, Lupin, Orange Fishie has been quite interested in Hugo a while ago, but she wasn't in the mood. Or maybe I missed something :D

You can often tell by looking at the pec fins. Hold the fish at the surface of the water and hold the pec fin so it is just barely breaking the water surface. Move it around so that the light hits the leading edge of the pec and you will see little tiny bumps along the edge if it is a male. You have to get the light to shine just right on it to see it so practice doing it and soon you will be able to sex your fish accurately.