Should I Let Him Keep His Fish?

ashlee18

I know what you all are thinking. Bad Ashlee for making anyone give up his/her fish! But let me explain.

So my bf and I recently moved in together a couple weeks ago. He has three full grown oscars in a 300 gallon tank. They are all 7 years old or older. When I was breeding angels I took care of the culls by feeding them to the oscars. Well now that I am no longer breeding angels, the oscars have no live food. And with their old age they don't want to eat anything that doesn't move. So this is were the issue arrives. My bf feed them feeder goldfish once and it was sickening. I don't know why I feel that way since a living thing was killed before but I guess it is because there is nothing wrong with these poor goldies. They were just born into an unfortunate situation and could grow up into big beauties. He also has a 5 y/o daughter, not mine, and she was traumatized by what happened too. Since the goldies are bigger and she could see them being ripped apart she couldn't sleep for nights. She had also named them :(. So he offered to give the oscars to his father who already has everything to take care of them. And that means a free 300gallon tank for me to put my goldies in.

But today I was offered a really great deal on a 180 so I'll have my tank for the goldies either way. Should I just tell him to not share how they are being fed? Like do it while his daughter and I are away? I would still feel bad about the feeder goldfish... Do you guys have any suggestions? Just get over it?

That's a really tough call, IMO... If he (or either of you girls) are attatched to the oscars, I'd let him keep them and just have him feed them when you're not around. If he's not particularly attatched, then giving them up might be the way to go... it's hard to say though. Does the potential new-fish-parent know how to care for them? I personally don't know much about oscars, but I'd find feeding live food hard, especially if it was something large enough to see it die, and I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same. I dunno... like I said, it's a pretty tough call for me.

Tough call as well. :( I feel terribly for you, I can't handle seeing much less knowing that something like that is happening. Is'nt there any other feeder fish breeds he can use? If he's genuinely willing to give up the Oscars, then that would be great; if not, then he should certainly be willing to feed them when no one's home and not let you guys know about it. I personally love Oscars; but I must say, having a 300 gallon tank at your disposal would be pretty awsome. :D

Edited by Kateana

Well technically the feeders aren't a good source of food anyway because they can bring in diseases and are generally terrible in protein, but the oscars have to eat too. I would just have him feed them when the daughter and you aren't around. Perhaps he can feed them minnows or culture some brine shrimp? I don't think it'd be fair to kick the oscars out of their home though.

Well he does like the fish but loves me and his daughter more. He is actually the one who came up with the suggestion of rehoming them. His dad owned oscars for about 15 years and they actually passed from old age. I actually haven't seen minnow here in years. There were some in the creek behind my parents house but the creek has gotten shallower and they don't come around much anymore. Also our lfs stopped carrying them a year ago. I know how to get some brine shrimp from feeding my betta and angel fry but I don't see it being big enough to interest the oscars at all.

I personally am not that attached. They can be so mean sometimes, which is why they need such a big tank. I just love the social goldies more.

:o Do you think that you could maybe try to wean them onto frozen foods at all? Maybe like the hikari bloodworms, or even eventually wean them onto pellets. They might chase those? I had a big old oscar named Oscar and I got him onto pellets eventuall. That way if they go to his dad's it may be cheaper and easier than trying to find other live foods. Edited by Haruka

I'll have to see about the pellets. They have never eaten them. They had been getting guppy fry until the culls but now they are too big for the guppies. I think I'll see about getting some live bloodworms. Though i might lose a finger :o We have been trying frozen foods for two weeks now and they are not impressed. They are grumpy old men lol

Oh yeah those suckers jump! All of the lids to the tank are weighted down with ten pound weights and when trying to feed them, I hold the lid down with one hand while the other is in the tank waving the food around. Too baud it doesn't work. I don't even try to clean the tank.

Edited by ashlee18

Goldfish have high levels of thiaminase that blocks absorption of vitamins at high levels. It's one reason why NOT to feed goldfish to your predatory fish. Unfortunately, many remain hardheaded when you tell them those facts. And then they cry to you, "Waaaaahhh!!! My fish got HITH (hole-in-the-head) disease.":rolleyes:

Earthworms, shrimps, chicken fillet. Those will do.

Well I think we will just bring them to his dad. His dad also breeds angels, a pair he got from me, so he can continue the feeding with the culls. They will be good to fill the gap from his other oscars.

So I wonder why most fish places sell the goldfish as feeder fish instead of other fish. One near me did sell minnows and danios as food for a while but stopped recently. But they also stopped selling the predator fish, like the needle fish they sold me last year.

My opinion is that it is hard enough to live with someone and it is best if both people don't have to dramatically change their lifestyles. So if it were me I would be inclined to want him to keep his fish, but try to find a better and healthier solution to the feeding issues.

I agree with Lupin. The feeder goldies are real unhealthy - they are just fat too. I 'banned' any live foods in the house. I have turtles but they are perfectly fine on pellets are frozen foods.

Maybe you should ask Hidr - she has a gorgeous Oscar, maybe she can give you some ideas on how to make them accept other foods. I agree with Amy, it is better not to make the other change his habits too much when living together :)

I agree with Amy. This is probably the better solution. Even if it was his own idea about giving them away, you don't want or need to hear during a future argument about "how you made him get rid of his fish".

Maybe there is an LFS a little further away that carries minnows?

I would get in touch with Hidr and Amber about alternative foods, but something I'd be tempted to do (assuming you guys keep them) is start breeding glass shrimp if you want live food, they're cute to watch but they're not charasmatic enough that you get attached to individuals, and by breeding them yourself you know there's nothing nasty going into the oscar tank. Just a thought ;) If you can handle it I would keep the oscars and get the 180 for the goldies. Moving in together is a big decision anyway without making more changes. If in 3-6 months the oscars are a big conflict point, then I'd look at it.

• Supporter

I would get in touch with Hidr and Amber about alternative foods, but something I'd be tempted to do (assuming you guys keep them) is start breeding glass shrimp if you want live food, they're cute to watch but they're not charasmatic enough that you get attached to individuals, and by breeding them yourself you know there's nothing nasty going into the oscar tank. Just a thought ;) If you can handle it I would keep the oscars and get the 180 for the goldies. Moving in together is a big decision anyway without making more changes. If in 3-6 months the oscars are a big conflict point, then I'd look at it.

:goodpost

I'll admit that I am lucky that he is not the type to bring up the fish later but I don't really want him to rehome them afterall. He has had one since he was 10 and we think the stress of moving them again might be too much for the old man. I did have luck with the youngest Oscar today. I bought some bait worms that were big enough to interest the one. I don't know how nutrious it is but it's better than not eating at all. I'm also starting to wonder if the move has stressed them into not eating, since they had been in the same living room for 5 years. But we are keeping them for now :). Just gotta figure out where to fit a 180 lol

Tough choice... but if it were me I would let him keep the Oscars as I think they are fantastic fish :) he could also not feed them live food as most of them are more harmful than helpful ;)

I do hope you can come to a good decision regarding everyones feelings :)

My Dad kept Oscars when I was little & we all enjoyed them. They have great personalities! Anyway we can see pictures of his big tank and the Oscars?

Well i just got my new tank, it is huge. Somehow it is only 2 feet shorter than the 300. All other dimensions are the same. Somehow 120 gallons fits into those two feet or one tank isn't what we think it is.

I'll try to take pics of all tanks tonight. Gotta clean up the house a bit since I let it get trashed when everyone left me for two weeks.