My First Goldfish Eggs!

Migaloo

When I got up this morning, I noticed alot of commotion going on in my tank - everyone was really exited about something and upon closer inspection, I found goldfish eggs!!!!

My calico fantail was beeing chased around vigorously by my black tele (who has breeding stars) - Im sure the eggs are the fantail's!

So now I have a couple of questions...

1. I did a huge (about 75%) water change yesterday so I could move my tank. Could this have brought it on?

2. How often does egg-laying happen?

3. How young do goldies need to be to start breeding? My little ones are only about 2 inches. They were smaller when I got them 6 months ago.

and 4. Is it worth trying to collect some eggs in a fry saver? Alot of them have been eaten already.

Thanks!

Thanks guys!

I decided to save some eggs - dont know how many there are - but not a large amount.

Shellbell - I read your thread and found it facinating. You have done such an amazing job! I even just one of mine makes it as far as yours have!

Check out my fry tank and moving egg video in my other thread!

Egg Thread :D

1. The shift in temperature can trigger your fish to spawn. It always does. My blue orandas spawned a few hours after I did my midnight water change.

2. For those who keep goldfish in outdoor ponds in wintry areas, breeding is seasonal usually by spring I believe. Those who live in tropics will experience all year round spawning among their goldfish.

3. In my opinion, goldfish should spawn once they reach a good size of 6-8 inches. The bigger, the better. You'll likely get good quality fry that have potential to grow enormous size. Anything else smaller than that average normal length, they are most likely stunted. Showing signs of breeding at such a small size is one of the indicators whether a fish in question is stunted or not.

4. Whether it is worth it or not, is totally up to you. All I can say is that if the parents are unusually small especially at 2-3", chances are good the fry will simply never have the potential to grow as huge as they should normally be. They are much smaller than what their normal size should have been.

Thanks Trinket!

Great info - thanks Lupin! :)

Hmmm.... Am wondering if this little black moor is stunted! I never would have thought so, seeing as how I chose him out of a tank full of baby moors and have watched him grow in my 66 gal ... but who knows where they came from hey!

He may well even be 3 inches... but nevertheless he is only little - and mum is about the same size too! Surely I couldnt have bought ALL stunted fish? :o

Still.... I will pursue these little eggs and see what happens! :)

Once I saw their little eyes inside the eggs - I just had to save them! :D

Lupin... I'm sad to say I think you're right :(

I was just reading another thread where you said that bladder issues and a long tail are a good indication of stunting... well this little black tele happens to have both these things... I cant believe I have a stunted fish :cry1 ... the poor little guy...

Ever since I've had him, he often gets floaty - not really bad, never sideways, but it happens about once a fortnight and lasts just a few hours. None of my other fish have ever been floaty - just him.

Plus I feel so stupid now - the reason I chose him in particular was because he had such a long tail.... longer than any of them. I had never seen such a long tail on a black moor before so naturally I assumed he was a beauty and was very pleased with myself... and now I know better :mad::cry .

Oh well... I love him all the same and he will spend the rest of his days happily in the 160 (when its finally ready).

Thank you for enlightening me Lupin - just goes to show - even when you think you're buying a baby fish - it may just be a stunted adult!

googleII.jpg

The calico blur next to him is the egg-layer

15102010195.jpg

Don't feel bad, sis. I'd just give your fish the best conditions possible, stunted or not. They're still worth the efforts keeping if you absolutely adore them.:heart Your moor is such a beauty.

It's always a good idea if you obtain your goldfish from breeders or make sure you get the adult ones from your nearby petstores. A good size would be 6-8 inches. The larger, the better even if they may be very expensive. It's well worth the effort spending a bit if you want goldies that are not stunted and somehow have potential to reach the normal size they should have.

I would like to add that you don't expect high quality goldies from petstores especially chain stores. Most of the stocks are easily rejects from breeders. The low quality ones are always sold cheaply and chances are good that having been sold to stores, they are easily the ones unselected for their lack of potential to grow properly. I know a few breeders that sell low quality ones or "culls" (rather than actually feeding them to predatory fish which is unhealthy practice anyway) to petstores for wholesale price. The best ones are retained or sold at steep prices to avid collectors or future breeders who want only the best out of their fish.

So true Lupin...

I'd love to get my next fish from a breeder... just dont know of any around here - will have to fish around and find one!

... hahaha... fish around... get it.... :rofl fish around... :tomuch:

:)