How Do You Prepare A Hospital Tank?

number20121

How do you set the tank up? When you don't know that you are going to need it, you will have an uncycled tank. Do you just use media from the other tank, and all fresh water? Any gravel or anything else?

Just wanna be prepared in case I have to do it sometime.

As far as cycling the hospital tank, some people keep an extra filter running in their main tank. That way, if a fish needs to be QT'ed, they can use that extra already-established filter and put it in the hospital.

In setting the tank up, I've come to believe the barer the better. :) An air stone is a definite plus for me, though. That just might be my personal "thing" though.

Edited by Commis

I always keep spare filter sponges floating in my other tanks ready to add to the quarantine/hospital tanks. I like to add some rocks or wood so that if the fish are stressed they have somewhere to hide away and escape any attention if they need to

I'll share what I did with butters II tank. I put two filters on the tank. One filter got the seeded filter media from the big tank while the other one got a fresh cartridge. Then in two weeks I change the old filter media (this is with whisper filters) with a fresh one. It is also a bare bottom tank so nothing can hide in the substrate.

Edited by ashlee18

I see! I still got my old tank of horror, the ten gallon one in which I tortured eight goldfish when I started out :doh11:

Anyway, I just dug the thing out, cleaned the small HOB filter that came with it, stuffed it with some foam stuff and put it on the 55 gallon tank. That way it will be ready if I ever need it, and I doubt my fish are being bothered by an extra 80gph in their big tank.

Thanks, guys.