Sign in to follow this  
Kateana

Canister Filter Sanitizing Help!

Hey all,

I just picked up a beeeaauutiful like new Marineland C360 canister filter :happydance I found on CL and I need advice on how to properly sanitize it for official use in my goldie's aquarium. It was used before for a freshwater cichlid tank. Should I use a vinigar/water solution? Bleach/water? I'm really not sure how to go about it. As well, I received all the previous ceramic media and bio balls. I'd hate to have to throw them all out and get new ones, but I would if it is believed to be a bad idea to re-use them. I believe this filter was used for less than 3 months, if that helps at all. The ceramic media is still nice and white, and the previous owners did a good job with cleaning the canister out themselves for me. I was'nt sure if they had already used a bleach/water solution, but I thought I may have smelled traces of bleach-I'm realy not sure though. Also, how should I go about sanitizing the ceramic media if I can keep it? And the bio balls? :blink:

Edited by Kateana

Provided it's all ceramic, you can boil it. That won't work too well with plastic though. I would just rinse/soak/scrub the tubes and canister parts out with bleach water. Just make sure you thouroughly rinse it afterwards and let it air out.

:goodpost

Definitely boil the ceramic rings and the bleach solution. I believe it's 1 part bleach to 19 parts water? But yes let it dry out real well and the last time rinse with water conditioner and let it dry.

I usually run it through with bleach. I always feel the safest if it has been running with the bleach solution. Good find!

sterilising fluid, the same as they use on babies bottles. I clean tanks, equipment, nets whatever with this stuff-cheap to buy just make sure it is rinsed a couple of times. If you buy a second hand tank, use this stuff and leave it in there for 24 hours the glass is sparkling without any scrubbing ( I love an easy life :))

Edited by theaquaticlibrary

Provided it's all ceramic, you can boil it. That won't work too well with plastic though. I would just rinse/soak/scrub the tubes and canister parts out with bleach water. Just make sure you thouroughly rinse it afterwards and let it air out.

:rolleyes: Goodness I can't believe I did'nt think of boiling the ceramic! Thanks gunbunnyj!

:goodpost

Definitely boil the ceramic rings and the bleach solution. I believe it's 1 part bleach to 19 parts water? But yes let it dry out real well and the last time rinse with water conditioner and let it dry.

Sounds good with the bleach/water solution measurements Tay, thanks! :)

I usually run it through with bleach. I always feel the safest if it has been running with the bleach solution. Good find!

Thanks for the comment amynmitchell. ;)

I know, it was a truly awsome find! I'm pretty much a CL junkie, I'm on every day. I bought this C360 along with a fairly new Penguin 350 all for $80. :D Just fantastic.

sterilising fluid, the same as they use on babies bottles. I clean tanks, equipment, nets whatever with this stuff-cheap to buy just make sure it is rinsed a couple of times. If you buy a second hand tank, use this stuff and leave it in there for 24 hours the glass is sparkling without any scrubbing ( I love an easy life :))

:blink: Ooo, good idea, thanks theaquaticlibrary! I did'nt nkow such a product existed. :)

Edited by Kateana