Red Had A Cyst

Cynders

Oh dear. I swabbed it with iodine yesterday and today and it just opened right in the main tank but I caught it right at that moment. Now he's in a 5 gallon bucket and that's all I have available right now. Do I need to do a big water change on the main tank to get rid of any bacteria? :undecided: I swear these fish will be the end of me.

oh dear! for the next time, take him out before it bursts. I vote - large water change + maybe a bit of salt to help them fight any remaining bacteria.

how does he look? maybe you can just swab him with HP and put him back in? better than the bucket. you can even raise the salt to 0.2% if the wound looks 'angry'.

:rofl He's protesting the bucket right now and acting perfectly fine.

I did the HP swab just incase and it's not bloody just a tad oozy like in stakos' thread when her fishy had one. I will definitely salt the whole tank. Big water change just done too. I'm just waiting for it to finish oozing out. Thank goodness it was a little cyst though.

You're going to keep oozy fish in quarantine until he's totally healed right?

Salt is a good idea for the QT tank or bucket ;) and the main tank for a couple of days.

poor red. maybe get a small 10-20 gal rubber tub if you ever need to 'hospitalize' any of the fish. it is always good to be prepared. oh and you can use the tub for 'fish stuff storage' when it isn't in use :)

I have a 10 gallon tub but I don't have an extra filter. It doesn't seem like there was anything under the cyst it just looked like fluid?

It seems to be gone now though. Lemem see if I can find the 10 gallon tub.

Edited by Haruka