So Blondie Ended Up In The 'time Out Tank'

So my baby ranchu Blondie who was so shy and relaxed in QT turns out to be HIGH ENERGY and a BIT of a BULLY!

After adding my black moor (my baby who survived Dropsy and who I have almost had for one year), she LOST her mind! This was only a few hrs after adding Dr.House. Anyways, she stared sucking on her tummy, nipping all her fins and HER EYES!!! So I tried feeding them extra and they just seemed to get her more and more excited! Then she started going after her twin Monkey, this just escalated the craziness as he started bullying her back etc etc etc! So I took her out. Right away everyone was calm again!

Monkey never does that to Dr.House. Very strange.

She is now back in her QT which has become 'the time out tank' and my celestial has taken her place in the 85gal... So far the 3 are doing very well. Each minding their own business.

Could this be fixed? What does the nipping mean? I mean there were THREE MINI fish in a 85gal! Come one!

PS. DEF not breeding behavior as they are all 'minors'.

:rofl 'minors'

It sounds like you could possibly just have a very naughty girl. Perhaps a couple of days in the naughty tank will sort her out and then put her back in. :wa She needs to reflect on her actions. I think you should put a 'Reflecting Anubias' in the naughty tank. :rofl

Psych ward tank? :rofl

I think the couple of days or a few hours will sort her out. Try a few hours first and put her back in. If they psycho behavior continues back to the naughty tank she goes! :rofl

argh, it's 1am here now so I am off to bed soon. Thankfully Dr.House, Monkey and Steve are doing PERFECT together. I will keep Blondie out a few days. Not too sure yet. Maybe I have to add her in the end so she don't feel it is her territory? hmmm...

Adding her last might be a good idea. I don't know how territorial goldfish are, but when I ended up with the tropicals the angelfish started picking on the gouramis and platys in the smaller tank. So I googled about that and people said to separate the bully from the others and have them have the tank to themselves for several days so they can establish this as their territory, and then add the bully last.

Did that, angelfish was in 10g confinement, and when I added her she was a lot better. Still, sometimes she is chasing the small ones away when they come to close, but she is not acitvely picking on them anymore. Maybe that works with Blondie?

Then a total n00b thing I am wondering, but we know goldfish can grow fast if fed a lot. How about while keeping her in confinement, feeding her only the barest minimum while fattening the other fish? That would make them a bit bigger than her and might make her think twice about starting sh*t with them.

Not sure how fast and well that would work though.

Well, I didn't say to not feed her at all. Just put her on a diet. :D

I also wonder if it would help if she could see the other fish in their big tank, while being in the time out tank. You know, like puppies that you slowly socialize by letting them sniff each other through a fence.

thanx Shell! Yea, NOBODY touch my Dr.House! Her tail has grown SOOOOO much she cannot swim as fast as the ranchus. So they have to play nice :)

Oh no!!! What a pain!... Well she certainly had you fooled... pretending to be all sweet and innocent!! :rofl

When I added my redcap, my ryukin would bully him so much that the poor redcap would spend alot of time hiding from him in the plants. I took the bully out for about a week and it worked! Once I put him back, he was fine and they have been the best of friends ever since!

I hope your little blondie learns her lesson with some time out! :)

And I always add a fresh bunch of anarchris or something yummy on a feeder clip and rearrange the tank before adding any fish. You just have to keep them occupied for a few days until they get used to the new fish. But giving her a week of time out may help, too.

hey Amy, I was thinking of cute Ponyo when it happened. I think Blondie might just be over energetic too. They also look so similar!

I just cycled my tank, I was thinking of making some boiled spinach and leaving it in. QUESTIONS - will it pollute the tank?????? - can the fish eat TOO MUCH??????? (I am still a little afraid of the myth that goldies will 'eat themselves to death'... :doh11: )

Thanx Dee Dee, it was late at night when I added them - I even fed everyone before I made the move. Didn't help...

Good news tho is that Monkey, Dr.House and Steve Urkel are doing GREAT. I just have to check if everyone can get their ration of food (especially Urkel as he mostly swims on the very bottom of the tank)

• Supporter

take the bully out of the tank for a few days to a week and in isolation (and yes, poistion the naughty tank in full sight of the main tank).. this worked with my fish.. never had a problem since..

Leaving spinach on a clip for twenty four hours won't cause any water problems. Just steam it well and I usually put three or four leaves on at a time. Ponyo is an active fish and seems to be always looking for trouble. But she has been doing great, well at least with other fish. She still is my sole destroyer of plants and rearranger of tank decor.

thanx amy! I will try to put her back in again in a few hrs. I will put her in and then drop in a broccoli floret or 2. fins crossed guys!

i hope it works because the other 3 are getting along SO WELL!!!

okey she is in. at first she was very relaxed, just following Monkey around. Then she zeroed in on House - I really think she doesn't like her!!!

So I threw in 3 little pieces of broccoli florets. She is now busy with one on one side of the tank, and the other 3 are ripping up the others on the other side of the tank.

hopefully nobody chokes or goodness knows what! :doh11:

as an aside - I was afraid my celestial Steve would have issues with food - yea right! he is very good an guarding his pieces of food! :rofl

okey she is in. at first she was very relaxed, just following Monkey around. Then she zeroed in on House - I really think she doesn't like her!!!

I'm so tempted to make a joke about Blondie being racist, but someone might take it wrong and accuse me of being racist - which I am not.

So no jokes about Blondie not liking "Blacks" :D

;)

poor House :(

So update - they literally just ate ALL the broccoli that was suppose to 'last all day' - they are so stuffed!!! :ignore

BUT, for now everyone is so into finding the last little crumbs that everyone is leaving everyone alone.

I am STILL worried about them eating to death!

Blondie is being a pest again! All is fine as long as they are out of each other's sign - but as soon as she sees Dr.House (70% of the time) she will go up to her and peck at her face, belly and tail :(

what can I do?

the rest of the time everyone goes about their business. I am surprised that Urkel isn't getting bullied.

So things got totally out of control! House was reduced to bottom sitting behind the plants with her fins clamped! :( She looked totally miserable.

So Blondie is out now - House is acting perfectly fine once again. I don't think Blondie will be rejoining this tank - everything seems more 'frenetic' when she is inside. Everyone racing, chasing etc. Very stressful.

I will either be putting her alone in the 30 gal - which is a little sad. Or she will get a chance to try and behave in the 120gal with the large Ryukins. We shall see. For now she will be in her naughty tank.

Federica I think she needs to be in solitary for a longer period of time before you'll see a difference. When Helen separated her naughty fish I think it was for a whole week! I think you should keep her alone for a bit longer, have some patience with it, and then see how she does.