Stunted Fish.

EdgarTheFish

Can someone please point me in the direction of a thread or article about fish that have been stunted? I would like to know what future problems (medically) the last two rescue fishies may bring me and if there's anything I can do to un-stunt them (if thats even possible)

I'm not sure where the article is but the main issue will be that their body will have stopped growing, yet their organs continue to grow. This can cause bad swim bladder issues and organ failure. I don't think you can actually un-stunt a fish, but you can make efforts to give them clean water and a happy lovely home and they'll still probably do very well. :D

Do they grow at all? Or will they stay two inches? They are estimated to be at least 3 months out of a pet store, the same age as Ava and Java, but you can deifinitely see the size difference.

The black moor and the orange fantail are my original two, the calico fish in the back and the calico orange fish on the bottom are the two fish in question, the one on the left side has been taken to the LFS.

rescuefishday7035.jpg

I honestly don't see a big difference in size but compared to your other two, they look good. I don't think you will have to worry too much.

A couple years ago, when I didn't know better, I had some stunted fish that were a little bit bigger than your guys. They did grow a little once in a bigger tank but didn't make it through ich.

Hiya Crystal, ;)

Goldfish do most of their growing in the first 2 or 3 years of life. If they are stunted at that stage they are not going to grow to their full size. BUT goldfish never actually stop growing, it's just at a much slower rate when they are older.

So while you can't expect that fish to suddenly spurt to 12" long, it can still grow bigger. It may or may not make 15 years old, but you never know. It's potential lifespan may have been reduced, but some defy the odds and still live for years.

....here are some good reads on growth stunted goldfish. ;)

Koko's-Stunted Fish

Koko's -Goldfish Stunting- By Sarah

ok then so that would bring me to the next question, how long would they (the four fancies) be ok in my 30g that holds 29g of water with my two filters and a bubble stone and bubble wand?

Hiya Crystal, ;)

Goldfish do most of their growing in the first 2 or 3 years of life. If they are stunted at that stage they are not going to grow to their full size. BUT goldfish never actually stop growing, it's just at a much slower rate when they are older.

So while you can't expect that fish to suddenly spurt to 12" long, it can still grow bigger. It may or may not make 15 years old, but you never know. It's potential lifespan may have been reduced, but some defy the odds and still live for years.

....here are some good reads on growth stunted goldfish. ;)

Koko's-Stunted Fish

Koko's -Goldfish Stunting- By Sarah

Thanks Dennis!!

ok then so that would bring me to the next question, how long would they (the four fancies) be ok in my 30g that holds 29g of water with my two filters and a bubble stone and bubble wand?

Hey Crystal...that's a very difficult question to answer properly. We already know that you're well overstocked until you can rehome the extra fish. Best thing to do is to keep your two filters running (at least 20x filtration would be best) and check your ammonia/nitrites levels daily to determine when and how much water that you'll need to change. Remember that with the extra fish they'll be producing that much more waste and toxins and you'll really need to stay up on your water quality to avoid stressing your fish. Hope that helps! ;)