Ryukin Buoyancy Issues?

kazaba

[*]Ammonia Level? 0(tested using drops)

I don't have readings for nitrite, nitrate, pH (no test kit at the moment) I also don't have water temperature.. no thermometer yet :-/

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running?

--5 gallon hex; been running for 2-3 months

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)?

--the aquarium is from marineland, and the filter came with it. it has a biowheel.

[*]How often do you change the water and how much?

I do around 30% water changes every few days

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size?

There are 2 fish; one is a 3 year old oranda (3 inches) the other is a young ryukin (1 1/2 inches)

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners?

I used API stress coat

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often?

They ate goldfish flakes at first, then I switched to sinking pellets (aqueon) after the ryukin showed buoyancy issues. Usually feed twice a day. Have been fasting them for 2 days now

[*]Any new fish added to the tank?

no

[*]Any medications added to the tank?

no

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

no

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

the ryukin floats after eating and has trouble swimming to the bottom; it gets so bad that she can be floating upside-down at the surface of the tank

So the story for these fish is kind of long, but in a nutshell, the 3 yr old oranda has been living in a 1 gallon fishbowl his entire life until recently when my dad purchased the marineland 5gal hex. he also purchased the new ryukin and added both fish to the aquarium all at once, no cycling, no research done whatsoever. These fish aren't mine, but I decided to take care of them after Bubba (the oranda) almost died from ammonia poisoning due to the uncycled tank. Bubba almost dying sparked my interest in taking care of fish and learning about their needs. I currently have a 55 gallon tank with a penguin 350 filter set up in my room which I will soon be relocating them to.

Anyway, Bubba is doing just fine, but the "new" ryukin, Maya, always gets floaty after eating. It started after we'd had her about 2 months, and when they were on the flake food (sorry I can't remember the brand at the moment). I read online that sometimes goldfish can gulp too much air when they eat floating foods like flakes, and that sinking pellets may be better. So, I switched them to the sinking pellets made by aqueon. I also soak the pellets in a little tank water to make them sink faster, and so they won't expand too much in the stomach. But, this did not help her much. Every day, the floating after eating got progressively worse. The floating does go away though, the next day she is completely back to normal. It only happens after she eats.

So, I have been fasting them for almost 2 days now because I don't want to stress the ryukin out by making her float. I read about feeding them peas, so I will try that tonight. I'm thinking her issue first started with gulping air when eating the flake foods. Then, when I switched her to the pellets, those somehow just make her too gassy? maybe. I just don't understand why it keeps getting worse. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Edited by Kailey

I personally think it could be the food. When I had a super floaty ryukin, he was on that same food. He passed from his floaty issues but I changed the food and the rest of the guys don't have a problem.

I would definitely try the pea and fasting for a couple of days. If that doesn't work, it maybe the fish.

But I hope another member comes along since I have a limited experience with my one fish.

I think the problem here goes beyond the food.

I think you might have some water problems. Basically goldfish poop a LOT. This is the reason 10 gallons per fancy goldfish are recommended. 15 for ryukins are they grow very large. Since you have a 5 gallon it is too small for even one fish. :( There is no way the poop can be filtered in such a small tank, and the bacteria (not testable) will skyrocket very fast.

Do you have a chance to upgrade the tank? Even a rubber tub could be used as a temporary solution.

I think the problem here goes beyond the food.

I think you might have some water problems. Basically goldfish poop a LOT. This is the reason 10 gallons per fancy goldfish are recommended. 15 for ryukins are they grow very large. Since you have a 5 gallon it is too small for even one fish. :( There is no way the poop can be filtered in such a small tank, and the bacteria (not testable) will skyrocket very fast.

Do you have a chance to upgrade the tank? Even a rubber tub could be used as a temporary solution.

I currently have a 55 gallon tank with a penguin 350 filter set up in my room which I will soon be relocating them to.

They will be going in either tomorrow or thursday :)

I also plan to set up the filter from the 5gal onto the 55gal when I put them in, as well as the 5gal gravel, to help with cycling.

oh okey great then. I think they will already improve with the change of tank :)

You also have an HOB filter or something powerful for the large tank? you will also want a nitrite tester for the first few months so you can keep an eye on the water quality.

Watch out with the gravel - I don't use it anymore as it caused the death of 3of my fish :( the bacteria that gets in there is nasty! make sure that if you do add it is it a very thin layer, just to cover the floor. :)

I got no experience with the floatyness, but instead of gravel you might also try smaller river stones. You can even find them in the decoration section in crafting stores - that's where I got mine from. Like Michael's and Hobby Lobby sell 5lb containers for $ 5. Just make sure you clean and disinfect them.

One of those 5 lb containers covers more than half the bottom of my 55 gallon tank, which is a 48 x 12 inches area. With their smooth, round surface they look very pretty, some algae grows on them that will be eaten by your fish or if you add a bristlenose or rubberlip pleco to take care of excess algae.

They also seem to collect less bacteria on them due to the smooth surface, and since they are larger than gravel, the room between the stones is larger too and poop gets caught a little less. It still is easy to gravel vacuum though.

Additionally it reduces the risk of a larger goldfish accidentally swallowing and choking on a piece of gravel.

My goldfish and pleco love those things, it makes it easy and entertaining for them to pick up food that sank to the bottom

Thanks for your replies everyone! The peas worked! She is eating and not floating afterward :) they are also now in the 55 gallon tank! I added the biowheel from their original filter to the water along with the gravel, and this seems to be preventing an ammonia spike; the level is still 0.

Thanks again!

Okay, so the ryukin is still a little floaty sometimes. It still only happens after she eats, and I've noticed that her poop is kinda weird. It looks like it's kinda just transparent 'casing' with some dark pieces... I've heard this might mean bacterial infection? It's also really thin and sort of long relative to her body size. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)