Cleaning Dirty New Gravel?

Migaloo

Not sure if this is the right place for this topic and its probably a really stupid question... but anyway....

We have chosen a fine 1mm pebble for the substrate of our new tank. Its the same gravel I have in my guppy tank and I love it for several reasons, but mostly because its so easy to vaccuum!

But gee.... it is sooo dusty in the bag we get it in!

I have been taking less than a cup-full at a time and cleaning and cleaning it until the water becomes clear. It takes forever to get just a cup-full clean... AND I am wasting alot of water! I spent ages tonight on it and havent even hit the tip of the ice-berg compared to the amount I'll need to cover the tank bottom... it could take weeks LOL!!

Just wondering if anyone knows of an easier way to clean dusty new gravel?

Any tips or tricks?? Or is the way Ive been doing it the ONLY way there is :undecided:

• Supporter

bathtub and basket.. fill bathtub with clean water and swoosh the basket of gravel in it (i used my big wog pasta strainer which i cleaned very well before and after) .. i guess so long as most of it is gone, the filters should clean the rest..

• Admin

Well....when i had tanks with gravel in it or changing it out, I would get a colander put half the gravel in it and run water over it, plug the sink, and swish it around :)

The thing is though that Migaloo said the gravel is only 1mm in diameter, if I understood that right. That's gonna be difficult in a basket or colander. 1 mm is 0.039 inch, that will go everywhere. I wonder if using some thin fabric to hold it with would be better, like cheese cloth or so.

Thanks guys - I think you've answered my question very well! In other words... I just have to keep washing bit my bit :rolleyes:

Fang is right - the pebbles are only 1mm in diameter - like fat sand LOL. I have been using a netted strainer to rinse them off initially, then swoosh them around in a bucket... its just they are just so very dusty it really takes a long time to do even the smallest amount!!

Oh well... better get stuck into it LOL (and expect an excess water bill hehe)

Sorry to be a pain... just one more question whilst my poor hands have a break from gravel washing.... Does it matter if the water is still a wee bit cloudy when cleaning the gravel? Can this hurt the fish? I have been aiming for CRYSTAL clear - this is what's taking the longest.

I know Stakos said the filter should take care of the rest... but I dont want to fill up a brand new tank only to be dissapointed with dirty, cloudy water from the gravel... I'm thinking with just enough gravel to hide the silicone, 160 of gallons water should subtantially dilute any cloudiness :undecided:

Aaarrrrgggghhhh... perhaps I should just go barebottom! Im just so :krazy: right now!!

• Admin

New gravel will always make the tank slightly cloudy, it wont hurt the tank, and if you let the tank cycle about 24 hours with out fish it wont hurt them :) Thats what i did when I changed my non planted tank to planted :)