Prazi And Melafix?

number20121

My two single tails keep having red veiny streaks on their tail fins since I moved them to the new tank. I guess this might have happened because during moving them, their tail fins tore up a bit.

I read that I should use Melafix as antibacterial treatment, but can I use it while I am treating the tank with prazi for gill flukes? Or will that be no problem? Also, just like you guys have a better prazi-schedule than what the prazi bottle says, is there a "better" way to dose Melafix? Is Melafix a tonic or food? If tonic, will it be safe for the other three goldfish? What brand would be good, API? I think my LFS carries it.

I want to buy that stuff tonight on the way home from work, so I appreciate if someone can tell me beforehand :)

I would d owater changes instead of adding melafix. It sounds like it can be trace ammonia or nitrite from them being in the new 55 gallon. You get a cycle bump from that.

I see! I just got worried because I read somewhere that this could be hemorrhagic septicemia, and it would often be fatal and such wonderful things. And that you would have to start treating asap to give the fish the CHANCE to make it.

I've seen people post things like this often. You'll want to first look at water quality. I can guarantee a good water change will fix it. :D The bloody streaks are most often a tip off that there's ammonia in the water or nitrite, and you can see the veins in some white fish.

Alrighty then! Sucks though now with the gravel and the slight nitrite. I stuffed the filter box with a ton of padding and some crushed coral though, and with the bacteria/cycle starter I hope the bacteria kick in soon. The tank also is salted right now, I guess this might help a bit too.

Off to another water change. I really need to get something to drain and fill the water easier. :lol1

Christmas is in two months. That's at least a dozen water changes until then. Two tanks, so... 24 at least >.< LOL! My hubby works at W*Mart, I'll ask him to look around what they got there.

How long should it take for their fins to not be so veiny anymore? I guess it doesn't help that especially Hugo often swims really close to the bottom. Not rubbing against the gravel, but the bottom of her long tail brushes over the graves, which is one of the reasons why I wanted to replace the scratchy gravel with smooth, rounded off river stones.