Filter Is Wooshy

My tank is in my bedroom and my canister filter has taken to making what can only be described as 'wooshy' noises. I've tried emptying and refilling it, tilting it to release any air, turning it off and on again (it works for computers!!!) and nothing seems to make any difference, it's relatively quiet for most of the day, just the occasional woosh, but at night it's non-stop. I'm stumped. I think the seal's fine but there is air in it, I can see it by where the water level is when I tilt it, but I can't get rid of it. I have a new impeller coming but I'm not sure it will make much difference. The priming pump is decidedly dodgy, keeps getting stuck down, I started it by hand last time, starting the siphoning from the inlet tube and then plugging that into the filter, that made it quiet for a little while but it's worse than ever now. Unless there's a leak from the primer I'm stumped. There's no leaks anywhere. Just thought I'd see if you guys had any ideas before I contact the manufacturer. It's an Aqua One Aquis 1250 and is less than a year old, I got it for Christmas last year.

have you got too much bubbles in the tank water? It may be taking in fine bubbles in and got released and trapped in the filter. Any air stone moved too near to the intake? Some time fine holes on the intake tubing will cause this also. Try swap the tubing of the intake with the return tubing to test if it helps.

You may have something there...the outlet tube is right next to the inlet tube and doesn't have an attachment on, it's pushing lots of bubbles straight down, I'll try moving it to the other side of the tank. If this works you will be my official favourite person for ever and ever! :o

Any luck?:heart

I get this too!!!

All the time. I have a million theories. One canister I lifted up higher and it stopped. Another I cleaned the pipes. Another time I found some sponge had got stuck...its such a pain! Right now I have a "pop pop pop" going on. Goodness knows what this one will turn out to be but really these filter idosyncracies will send me insane :doh11:

So far so good but I don't want to jinx it! It has this ability to be relatively quiet all day and then start up a storm when I'm going to sleep. Does seem to be quiet (well, as much as electronic whizzy things ever are) so far, I noticed an improvement almost immediately. Just moved the pipe along the tank about 20cm, goldies still get their bubbles but they're not running along the inlet pipe and floating up inside it. :) I may actually get a relatively undisturbed night's sleep tonight! :D :D :D

The inlet and return tube should be as far as possible so that the water in the tank can circulate properly and the dirt get picked up by the filter. Glad that you can have a good night sleep now.

I have a big internal on one side so when I was setting the tank up I just put the canister at the other end, I usually have a spraybar on it that goes horizontally along the back of the tank so it's not an issue, but I appear to have lost it in the move, it'll be at my bf's or in a box somewhere...

Intake's about 2-3" off the bottom, outlet's about 2-3" above the surface of the water, there's quite a difference between them, the difference between the inlet and outlet of the internal is nearly the depth of the water too so between them and the bubble wall there's a lot of circulation :)

Now i get it. The bubbles are caused by the return drop down back into the tank pushing the bubbles down and you had the intake too near and sucking in the bubbles... Bubbles... it's a love hate affairs... haha...

That's exactly it ;) I moved the outlet away and also changed the angle so the jet is going diagonally into the water so the bubbles don't go in quite as deep and are not by the inlet and it's all sweet now :D No more waking up in the middle of the night to WOOOOOOOSH!