Weird Nitrate Tester?

ashv20

I use API droppers to test my water, and only recently did I read that you put the first 10 drops in, then shake it, then add the next ten. Now since I have been doing this, the main tank is not showing nitrates!! Even after a week, and it has been a cycled tank for quite some time now...I havn't added anything or done anything to the tank..I did take 4 ceremic rings, out of approx. 100 in my filter though, btu don't think that could do anything.

I find that nitrates turn up only when I test by by not shaking the tube until both lots of ten drops are in...

Any ideas?

EDIT EDIT EDIT: *THE MAIN TANK IS NOT SHOWING NITRATES NOT!!

Edited by ashv20

Do you have any plants on the tank? My angel tank is heavily planted and shows pretty close to 0

haha i have 2 anubias...

i just restested both ways, and they are both showing the same. I'll have to keep an eye on it...

I use the same API Nitrate test kit. I followed the steps in the paper user guide as follows and do get reading. 1) Add 10 drops from bottle 1 and shake the test tube just abit to mix it around. 2) Shake bottle 2 vigrously for at least 30 secs before adding to test tube. 3) Shake test tube vigrously for at least 1 min and wait for 5 mins for color to develope.