How Fast Do Goldfish Grow?

blackteles

• Admin

Goldfish grow very fast and you need to keep changing a tank so theY dont feel cramed best of look

Goldfish grow very fast and you need to keep changing a tank so theY dont feel cramed best of look

If you get the right size tank, you don't have to keep changing. :)

Exactly I got 2 goldfish in a 50 gallon tank. As long as I dont add anymore they are fine.... Always buy the biggest tank you can and then stock it accordingly...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may correct you koko pearlies certainly donor do well in taller tanks as their swim bladders are much more sensitive to pressure changes especially when they are young and still growing. Longer and shallow is always better! Plus the tanks look much lArger tht way, and are nicer to view.

• Admin

If I may correct you koko pearlies certainly donor do well in taller tanks as their swim bladders are much more sensitive to pressure changes especially when they are young and still growing. Longer and shallow is always better! Plus the tanks look much lArger tht way, and are nicer to view.

Hun where did I say that?

• Admin

. there are a few kinds of Fancies that do better in tall tanks, like Ryukins and pearlscales...

here! I don't mean to be rude koko :heart I just wanted to point it out :duckk:

Well since i havent had a Pearlscale and I was told this was good for them. Im sorry but I do know that Ryukins it is good for there build... :)

Trouble is, once you get a bigger tank, you want to put more fish in it! Then that leads to an even BIGGER tank! :tomuch:

Edited by yafashelli

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to make a post about this. Since I moved the hibuna out of the 10 gallon, and started feeding them on progold, I feel like every day I look at them they are noticeably bigger than the day before. I'm beginning to understand the rave reviews about the food, but also good clean water with a nice current seems to do the trick too. I don't want to stunt them. I want them to grow to their hearts desire.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a pic of my ranchu fry. This is an example of how genetics plays into size. These fish are from the same parents, same batch, same age, the one in the medicine cup is much smaller than the ones swimming around the container and there are medium sized ones as well not pictured.

IMG_0959.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble is, once you get a bigger tank, you want to put more fish in it! Then that leads to an even BIGGER tank! :tomuch:

Ha, That's what's happening to me. I have four in a 75 gal and I'm feeling like they will need more room. Looking at a 220

• 5 months later...

Has any one ever seen a chart of chronological photos that show the growth of a fish throughout its life? I think that would be interesting to see.

There are really good blogs out there of goldfishkeepers who regularly weigh. measure and photographs their fish. It's really interesting to see how they change over time, not just in size but in fin length, depth of body etc!

• 10 months later...

I was wondering, do common goldfish grow to the same size of other goldfish such as a lionhead? Because with my experience with them, they don't seem to grow as much as my other fish.

I don't believe there is any significant difference in growth rate between varieties of goldfish. There are, however, huge differences in the growth rate among the fry from a single spawn. At a month of age, some fry will be 2 to 3 times the size of their smallest siblings. This is NOT likely genetics, since it happens in highly inbred strains as well as in matings of unrelated fish. With the inbred strains, siblings are close to being identical twins genetically. You still get runts and "tobies" (the nickname for those huge fry).

Sometimes you can be fooled by how fast the fish seem to grow. It's better to measure or weigh them to see how fast they are actually growing. Fish with a large wen, look bigger than fish without wens, for example.

I just got my Goldfish less than a week ago. He is 2 inches long including the tail and I can't wait to see how fast and how big he will get :) I like the idea of doing a blog with pictures of growth of fish over the weeks and months. I just may do that with my fish Dreamsicle :thumbup2:

I just got my Goldfish less than a week ago. He is 2 inches long including the tail and I can't wait to see how fast and how big he will get :) I like the idea of doing a blog with pictures of growth of fish over the weeks and months. I just may do that with my fish Dreamsicle :thumbup2:

Watching them grow is so fun! Remember, though, that you should only feed .5-1% body weight every day. Don't try to overfeed to get him to get big. The best way to get him to grow to his full size is keeping pristine water and feeding the right amount :)

Watching them grow is so fun! Remember, though, that you should only feed .5-1% body weight every day. Don't try to overfeed to get him to get big. The best way to get him to grow to his full size is keeping pristine water and feeding the right amount :)

I have no idea how much he weighs....I didn't know you have to know the weight to know how much to feed. How do I go about doing that?

You don't have to necessarily. But you should only give him enough food so that he can finish it in about 30 seconds - 1 minute. :) however, if you ever need to medicate then you will need to know his weight so it's not a bad thing to know :) Here's a video (from Tithra) on how to weigh your fish if you're ever interested :)

Like I said though, it's completely unnecessary. I didn't get around to doing it until about 6 months after I got my fish. I just used it to chart growth, which is also very interesting.

I have an interesting observation about this topic.

I borrowed Adele, a telescope, from my boyfriend after setting up my new tank and seeding it with some of his media. He had had Adele for over 6 months and she hadn't grown at all; she was very very skinny (as she was when I bought her from the pet store).

I treated her with Tetra Parasite Guard for 10 days, followed by 2 rounds of Aqua Prazi. I fed her 3 times per day, probably about 1% of body weight per day as was recommended to me. She has grown significantly. Unfortunately I don't have a scale to weigh her or the food, but I might get one.

My thinking is that she may have been infested with parasites, which were preventing her from gaining weight even with adequate feeding prior to coming to my house. This now has me wondering if ALL of Mario's fish have parasites, since they never seem to gain weight. (We treat with Prazi every 6 months, but it could be something other than flukes that the Parasite Guard took care of).

Oh, and I am totally keeping her. [emoji1]

Edited by *Amanda*