Now I Know What You Guys Mean With A Certain Lfs Chain

Well so now yesterday my hubby and I met up with some people because they were going thrift shopping. I didn't need anything, so when we stopped at one mall there also was a Pet$mart and I asked my hubby to drop me off there and pick me up when they're done at Goodwill.

As soon as I walked in there, I didn't like the store. Cluttered, narrow isles, dim lighting. I walked over to the fish tanks and was shocked; the two tanks with the 13c commons had about three dozen dead and dying fish in there. Eight of them were huddled together in one corner at the bottom of the tank, laying there, dying. In the tank with the small fancies was one dead fish floating around, being pushed back down by the way too strong current. Even the other tanks with the "more expensive" fish had dead, sick and decaying remains in them.

The bird section was horrible as well. The diamond doves hat a lot of feathers ripped out at their bloody rumps and smaller birds were missing feathers around their necks. The cages were so dirty, the toys in the parakeet cage were covered in poop you could barely make the colors of the toys out.

The tanks with the life plants were full of snails, the plants in there ROTTING and the leaves had a half inch layer of weird fuzz all over them.

When my hubby picked me up I showed him and so we bought a 2.99 container of goldfish crisps to get a store number on the receipt.

I'm going to email corporate later on because the conditions in this store were ridiculous. I don't even want to know what's going on in the section with the cats up for adoption.

I never knew why many of you are bashing this chain so much, because the store where I live is wonderful! Clean tanks and cages, you rarely see a dead or sick fish. In fact I've only ever seen one sick goldfish in there in the three years I go there. But now I am so disgusted with that other store.

I also didn't get this: There was this employee with a customer in the tropical section, and she needed one fish of a specific kind (no clue what it was) because she already had some and wanted to add one more.

But the employee told her they'd sell these fish only by the 3, not less. She said she can't buy 3 because she doesn't have enough room, but he insisted that she'd have to buy 3. WTH?? Why?

She was annoyed and told him nevermind, and left.

How absolutely terrible! :( Did you get any pictures, by any chance? I wonder if that could help with the reporting? This is just abysmal. Especially the birds, how sad :(

I've always felt the same about my Pet$mart; I love the one near me because even though their goldfish tend to have something wrong with them, it's not as bad as it could be and most of the employees seem to genuinely care about animals. Unfortunately, stores can vary widely from location to location :( I can't imagine this is common in PS though! (I might still be living in dream world though)

I hope that particular store goes bankrupt. Hard.

I'm sorry you had to come across such a sight. :( I can't imagine how hard that must have been to see. Personally, I'm careful when talking about these chain petstores because not all of them take poor care of their animals. Where I live, I have a P*tco and P*tsmart really close to eachother that I shop at and they take really good care of all their animals. I never go into my local P*tland though, in fact, I would'nt shop at any P*tland anywhere because they carry puppies and I believe them to be from mills. To say the least my local P*tland has never taken good care of any of their animals, and the place is always crowded with people and moms and their kids oogling at all those poor puppies. The employees are'nt very handy with information as well. They're all young kids just trying to sell me stuff is how I always felt. It's been years since I've gone in there now. I stick with my P*etsmart and P*etco.

Good luck to you e-mailing the corp. I hope you get through to them!

Edited by Kateana

Wm is the most neglectful in my area.

Oh, the one in our town too. My husband called corporate and told them about how neglected their fish are, and they actually did something about it. Tanks are in way better condition now!

All they care about is money money money. Sadly with most pet*smart chains they won't do a thing even if you call. Why the employee was trying to sell 3 = money. Try looking up animal abuse at Pet*smart. The only things I go there for now are plants or ornaments. (If they're not snail ridden). However, I can vouch for one good pet*smart where I got Red and Soochi. They take excellent care of their fish, especially the goldies.

What an awful experience :( What happened to consistency in chain stores?! If one store is keeping their animals in good condition, then that is the store the chain should base their policies on! How hard is it to have a quick orientation for new staff on basic care for all animals carried and a manual for quick reference? Between the number of animal lovers who boycott these stores and the cost of dead pets who never leave the store, it seems like a change that would still be cost effective.

Why the employee was trying to sell 3 = money.

I don't think it was about money in that case. It was probably a guppy or other type of "schooling" fish, and so the employee knew that fish preferred to be in groups. Yes, the managers do push the employees to sell more fish to meet the overall quota for the store, but this case sounds like it was because the fish were schooling types.

p.s. The pet*smart I used to work at was thankfully not that bad, but I still disagreed with their "philosophy" on pet care because they wanted me to push certain products I knew were bad and things like that. I eventually got fed up and quit because of this. But the store was in good shape, and we really did try to cut down on dead fish.

Edited by Sakura

Why the employee was trying to sell 3 = money.

I don't think it was about money in that case. It was probably a guppy or other type of "schooling" fish, and so the employee knew that fish preferred to be in groups. Yes, the managers do push the employees to sell more fish to meet the overall quota for the store, but this case sounds like it was because the fish were schooling types.

I really don't know what type of fish it was, but it was no guppies. Some rather plain looking fish, a bit bigger than guppies. But the lady told them she already got a few and wants to add one more because one died or so. Of course, she could be making this up, but what if not? Is Pet$mart enforcing overstocking?

Wait, stupid question.

And yes, I can vouch for mine. I LOVE going there. I often go in there just because, not even buying anything. They all know that I constantly got check the fish out. Maybe that's why they keep them well :D

I will mention that "my" store is amazing when I email them. Because they deserve getting some sort of recognition!

Sure, I see your point. I just don't really think it is right to tell a customer how many you have to buy. Because if she really already has enough and just wants 1 more, and not 3 more, then it is quite counter-productive to only sell hr more.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just too disgusted with the store in general :D

I just wished I would have had a camera on me to take photos or video.