Hallo! Newbie Here ;)

Guest Amberlee

Guest Amberlee

I'm new here! Hi all! So. I'm a 13 year old girl, and I really like fish. Yesterday my sister and I got some little goldfish, a shubunkin (mine; name is Amberlee) and a sarasa comet (my sister's; name is Alex.) We're excited to have them, they are very beautiful. At the moment they aren't very big, but they like swimming around together and playing what looks like a game. They toss a piece of the gravel around, and at a certain point will swim around the plant, and go to the other side. If they are racing, the comet, Alex, always wins. I like just watching them, and drawing them. (Though that is difficult because we have three cats, so they must be kept on the counter in the bathroom.)

Welcome, Amberlee! Do you have a hood for your tank? Then the cats shouldn't be a problem. I got hoods on my tanks, and we have three cats, but there is never a problem.

We'd love to see photos of your fish, as well as your drawings! :)

Guest Amberlee

Welcome to Kokos.

:) What size tank do you have?

I have a ten gallon tank, thats the one that is running. We also have a 30 gallon and 80 gallon, but both are still in the garage. Eventually we'll get the 80 gallon running, and get some koi :)

Guest Amberlee

Welcome, Amberlee! Do you have a hood for your tank? Then the cats shouldn't be a problem. I got hoods on my tanks, and we have three cats, but there is never a problem.

We'd love to see photos of your fish, as well as your drawings! :)

We have a hood that would fit our 30 gallon tank, but not the one we're using. Hopefully we'll get one sometime, so my sister won't think something's wrong with me when I'm just watching the fish. :)

I can't wait to get some up! I have a couple sketches, one almost full color drawing, but the problem is that they move so fast! I'll have to find my camera and charge it... :)

Welcome to Koko's! There is a wealth of information for you here and lots of friendly people as well :)

Unfortunately Haruka is right, Koi actually need at least 250 gallons per fish! So they are only suited for large ponds. But your two fish that you already have will grow nice and big if you set them up in the 80 gallon tank. Your shubunkin and sarasa will each grow to be up to two feet long if cared for properly!

Welcome to Kokos.

I have a ten gallon tank, thats the one that is running. We also have a 30 gallon and 80 gallon, but both are still in the garage. Eventually we'll get the 80 gallon running, and get some koi :)

You shouldn't put kois in an aquarium because they grow to an average size of 24 to 36 inches!! Each koi needs a minimum 300 gallons of water for himself, so if you have 3 kois you need 900 gallons. :o Experts on kois even say 1000 gallons for the first koi, and then 300 for each additional.

But a 80 gallon tank would be nice for the comet and the shubunkin :) The thing is, the more room you have for the fish, the better. Just think about how they will have to spend their entire life in this little room. If you had to spend your whole life in your room, wouldn't you rather have a room as big as possible? :)

You could probably add a bristlenose pleco like this http://fc08.devianta...aKen_Louise.jpg

He will keep your tank algae free, so he kind of is your cleaning crew. I just can never stop watching them cleaning the glass

It is too cute and funny! Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

Guest Amberlee

Welcome to Koko's! There is a wealth of information for you here and lots of friendly people as well :)

Unfortunately Haruka is right, Koi actually need at least 250 gallons per fish! So they are only suited for large ponds. But your two fish that you already have will grow nice and big if you set them up in the 80 gallon tank. Your shubunkin and sarasa will each grow to be up to two feet long if cared for properly!

Oh! Well...evidently I'm not all that knowledgable on fish, though I love them. I'll keep that in mind, I just told my mom, and she is willing to set it up asap. I'll post some pictures soon! At the moment they are very small. I'll get some pictures when I can! :)

Guest Amberlee

Welcome to Kokos.

You shouldn't put kois in an aquarium because they grow to an average size of 24 to 36 inches!! Each koi needs a minimum 300 gallons of water for himself, so if you have 3 kois you need 900 gallons. :o Experts on kois even say 1000 gallons for the first koi, and then 300 for each additional.

But a 80 gallon tank would be nice for the comet and the shubunkin :) The thing is, the more room you have for the fish, the better. Just think about how they will have to spend their entire life in this little room. If you had to spend your whole life in your room, wouldn't you rather have a room as big as possible? :)

You could probably add a bristlenose pleco like this http://fc08.devianta...aKen_Louise.jpg

He will keep your tank algae free, so he kind of is your cleaning crew. I just can never stop watching them cleaning the glass

It is too cute and funny!

Well then! Won't be doing that... I did think of that before, but our petstore guy told us they only grew to 6" and 10", I thought the tank was still a bit small, and mom said when they grew we would change them from one tank to the other. I think the bristlenose pleco would be cute! Our local library has a few and theyre so cute! I always sit there and watch while reading, but looking up all the time to see them. By the way, I'm feeding them two pellets each of Omega10 fish food every morning. Is this good? More? Less? I'll get a picture asap. ...how do you get a picture up...?

As a rule of thumb, an amount of food that equals the size of one eyeball of the fish, fed about three times daily.

For photos: do you or does one of your parents have an account on photobucket.com? You can sign up for a free account, upload your photos there and then link them to here. I'm sure one of your parents might be able to help you with that, if not, then just let us know and we'll help you with that :)

Guest Amberlee

As a rule of thumb, an amount of food that equals the size of one eyeball of the fish, fed about three times daily.

For photos: do you or does one of your parents have an account on photobucket.com? You can sign up for a free account, upload your photos there and then link them to here. I'm sure one of your parents might be able to help you with that, if not, then just let us know and we'll help you with that :)

I will remember that

My parents do not have an account on photopucket.com, and I'm trying to make one but I'm only 13, and you have to be 14 to join the site. I don't get that... just when I turn old enough to join practically every site saying "You must be 13 years or older" I find the one that says I must be 14. Sigh.

Ok, I usually don't recommend doing this, but photobucket is a quite a kids safe site, I know they delete "adult" material, so... they don't know if you really are 14 or not. Could have been a typo when you entered the year you were born in. If you get my hint :rolleyes:

Guest Amberlee

Ok, I usually don't recommend doing this, but photobucket is a quite a kids safe site, I know they delete "adult" material, so... they don't know if you really are 14 or not. Could have been a typo when you entered the year you were born in. If you get my hint :rolleyes:

I got it!! But I can't get the picture to come up

Imageshack.us is great for pictures! Welcome Amberlee :) I can't wait to see some pictures and your drawings ^_^ I'm so jealous that you have an 80 gallon just sitting around! I'd kill to get a tank that size :))