Starting First Prazi Treatment

pss_gold

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0

[*]Nitrite Level? 0

[*]Nitrate level? 20

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? KH is 3 and gH is like 16

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? I use r/o now... stupid ammonia and chloramine

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API drop

[*]Water temperature? 78.9 It's getting hot again :(

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 75 gallons since Aug 18th

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Fluval 405 (340gph) and a DIY filter (295 gph w/2L of matrix and two sponge filters) It's a bio beast! It should start to lower nitrates soon :)

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? About 30% every week. Still getting the 3ppm of ammonia wave out of the tank.

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 7 goldfish and a visiting platy. 5->3", 1->1", and 1->2.5"

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? I haven't had to use any other conditioners other than some stress coat + with the aloe to help with any damage from the cycling. I use r/o right to bring the minerals back and keep pH stable. I also have 2 cups of crushed coral in the filter.

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? I've been feeding them two small meals and fed three the past couple days to try to get Sophieanne to eat :/ They get tons of different stuff. Peas, baby shimp, gel food, sinking lionhead mini, hikari baby pellet, goldfish/koi summer stable, and algae wafers. Spoiled piggies xD

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? Sophieanne is the one I'm worried about. She was a feeder from a fish packed tank. You can see her picture in my new signature. Too pretty to be food. Chibiko, the second newest, hand feeds and all so she's fine and adorable.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? Nope

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Maybe some white fungus on her tail but I'm not sure. Not frayed or bloody.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? She was really spaztic at first and her fins were all up and happy or at least alert but now she's calmed down and she's all clamped up. Doesn't show much interest in food either. Maybe she misses being surrounded by tons of other fish. :/

Now that my tank is cycled, I was thinking of starting prazi after I got it decorated in a couple weeks but now that she looks so sad and clampy, twitchy, and rubbing on the bottom, I'm thinking I'll start it today or tomorrow depending on your thoughts. Can I add the decorations back in during the prazi treatment? I'm guessing salt would probably help her too. I'm planning on dropping the water level so the 4oz bottle of prazi can do the schedule I've read tons of times on this forum.

Day 1 -- remove carbon, perform water change with vacuuming, and add Prazi to tank

Day 2 -- add Prazi

Day 3 -- do nothing

Day 4 -- do nothing

Day 5 -- do nothing

Day 6 -- add Prazi

Day 7 -- add Prazi

Day 8 -- normal partial water change with vacuuming

Day 14 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 21 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 28 - normal partial water change, then add prazi

Day 35 - normal partial water change, add carbon, treatment is complete

None of my fish have ever been treated with anything so doing a prazi should help all of them. When it says add prazi, does that always mean a full dose or just add back in what was removed? I hope I can get her to stop clamping and moping. She looks almost like a butterfly koi when she's swimming <3

ok, changing out 60% for this week and adding the dose of prazi for 60 gallons. I measured a mark off point to make sure there's only 60 gallons in the tank. yay math. I moved Pon, Mari, and the mollies into the tank too so they can all be de-fluked at once. Can corys and otos carry flukes too? I guess as long as I get rid of the main flukes so they can recover, it'll be ok. I'll make sure to treat again if I see any symptoms. Here I gooooo :)

Hmm it turns out that the trash can I collect water in didn't have enough to do the big water change I wanted... It should be done collecting more soon enough. It's just going to be a late night. I had to remove Sirius to keep the peace in the tank. He and Lupin were duking it out and picking on Panera. Everyone is really enjoying the water now. I had to add more of the r/o right than usual. I'm now almost 100% sure the lps gave me one with a DI cartridge instead of an extra filter. The water isn't even basic enough to turn the test kit slightly green on the normal pH test with a bubbler running in it for two days. Oh well.

I did remember to take the carbon out of the filter even though I'm pretty sure it was exhausted anyway.

What about when I put the decorations back in? Do I have to sterilize them? If so, how? I have river rocks, gems, and plastic and fabric plants.

Well I took the decorations out because it was trapping tons of poo. It would just go between the river rocks and just sit under them and vacuuming was close to impossible. I got the idea of making a grate under them that will lift them off the bottom about an inch and use tank sealant to glue rocks around the edge so I can lift the grate and vacuum under it like a rug xD The thing is I can't get the plastic I need until probably the weekend after next so it's going to be a while. The decos have been out of the tank for a couple weeks now and have been dry. Should I boil everything just to make sure or would the lack of water killed them? I also gotta decide which nets go to which tank so there's no cross contamination. So many things to do :)

Second dose of prazi added. Sophie is still clampy. I guess it might take a couple days. As for the white stuff on her tail, I've done a little reading and it's either fungus or something from the terrible water conditions she was in before. I'm raising the salt slowly to the .03% or 3% (1Tbs/gallon). Will that help if it is fungus? She's calming down and stares at me when I go up to the glass rather then swimming away. :)

Remember that they might look worse before they look better. I am treating 3 tanks right now and the one in the hospital tank seems effected by it the most while the other two tanks don't seem to know the difference. They just got their third treatment.

She had interest in food today but she looked like she didn't have the strength to suck up the pellet. She did a little shaking but mostly she stares into the corner. She also has some brown what I think are ammonia burns on her side. I wish the store took care of their fish. :( I'll keep up the prazi and adding salt. Hopefully she'll feel better soon. Gel food for dinner since it's small and she can suck it up with little effort.

On a happy note, Pon looks better than she did yesterday :)

Edited by Yuko

Here's the link to the album. Sophie has been at the surface a lot today. I also now see a pin sized hole in her tail. I can't tell if it's fuzzy or cauliflower like. :/ Maybe you guys can tell in the pictures. I think the cloudiness in her tail is getting worse :(

Album

This is the best one. -> Sophie

Edited by Yuko

AH D:

I'm now thinking it has to be fungus. I now see fluff on her head. Now what do I do? I have a 2 gallon hospital tank. I can take her out, put fresh water in it, and treat the fungus, then put her back in with everyone else to finish off the flukes? I don't think she's going to make it to day 35 of the fluke treatment without being a very furry dead fish.

Please let me know what to do asap! x.x

Well I took her out and put her in the 2 gallon with Rid-Ich+ so if it's fungus or ich, it'll get rid of it. I'm going to keep an eye on her to see how she's doing. I don't see any white on anyone else so I think they're ok. Hooray for immune systems :)