Saki Hikari

Genki

so, i switched from hikari oranda food to saki hikari.... wow.

pretty my fish have grown more in the last couple of weeks than in the whole time i owned them before that.

i keep thinking about making my own food too... but everytime i try giving them veggies that ignore them completely

I recently switched to that food. Good to know that it will help them grow. That's kid of odd that your guys dint like veggies. My guys can't get enough and chow down like there is no tomorrow.

Strange. Try carrots (though it'll help change their color to orange/red easily), spinach and zucchini. How about seaweeds? Did you leave those veggies round the clock all day clipped in their tanks? I'd do that.

Strange. Try carrots (though it'll help change their color to orange/red easily), spinach and zucchini. How about seaweeds? Did you leave those veggies round the clock all day clipped in their tanks? I'd do that.

carrots?

:cry1

how long should i cook them for.

i microwaved some peas and put them in.... they got completely ignored... and the brocolli was blanched for a few mins and them attached where i normally feed them.... they inspected it for a few mins then went back to begging for food and ignored it.

No need to cook. Feed those raw. Cooking them will simply diminish the nutrients they hold.

I thought you were supposed to steam them a little to make them softer? That's what I did all the time. If raw is fine, then I just need to defrost a couple slices of carrots from the mixed frozen veggies I got at home.

@ Genki: you can feed them a lot of different veggies. Mine LOVE zucchini, and I read somewhere about people feeding them sweet potatoes, lettuce, kale,...

My big guys are very fussy about veggies - pretty much only eat peas. But my eggie wegs LOVE zucchini. And yeah - frozen thawed is awesome - out of the freezer in a cup of warm water and into the tank. Oh - the eggies also LOVE banana, but the biggies are afraid of it!

Mine loves spinach- but I find that because she is small, it has to be quite soft for her to take a bite out of it. You've gotta experiment, see what they like :D Ponyo won't touch broccoli, I think because it is too confusing (and I don't like it anyway, the little bits come off too easily), but loves any green leafy vegetable, peas and citric fruits (got to be careful with leaving those in the tank though).

Mine tend to ignore food that they have to break apart themselves, they'll eat cucumber if it's cute into bite-sized chunks they can fit in their mouths but aren't that interested if I put some on the bottom, by contrast two fish I had before my current three managed to tear a big enough hole in a cucumber slice to be able to swim through, they seemed to enjoy playing in it as much as eating it! Another favourite was strawberry, I scored the outside with a sharp knife like a noughts-and-crosses board to loosen it up for them and they loved it.

Try chopping the food up so that they don't have to demolish it themselves and see if they get a taste for it :) One of my fish is small with a damaged mouth so I have to cut my veg up seriously tiny, and she still always manages to go for the bigger chunks that don't quite fit...pig :P

I would steam/boil anything you give them. Otherwise there is too much risk of them choking - we all know how easily they get themselves in trouble!

Mine love: very cooked spinach that are easy for them to rip up, very cooked broccoli, peas, and zucchini.