Is Airpump Compatible With Tank?

us4298

Hi, I have a 4 gallon tank whcih I am goign to raise maybe a crayfish or a couple of guppies in. I am currently cyclying the tank with a airtech 2k0 airpump for a 5 gallon which is conencted to a internal filter and a air stone inside the tank. I was wondering if connecting the airpump to both an air stone and a filter will interfere with the function of the internal filter(will it force the filter to filter less than it is able to?)

Edited by US4298

I'd say yes. If you "split" the air output into two, the air coming out of each stone will be something like half and half. These filters work by circulating the water with air bubbles, by air bubbles lifting the water upward as they rise to the top, so less air bubble = less lifting of water. Whether your air powered internal filter still has enough filtration or not will depend on what the tank needs. What do you have in the tank?

And this is the tank you are thinking about adding a clayfish and guppies into? I'm guessing clayfish can get pretty big and am not all that familier with guppies, so other's may come up with better help, but start with low bioload and see if the filteration is sufficient. Cheers!

Actually, What I meant was that I am either going to keep a crayfish in that tank, or keep a few guppies in it. But if I do decide to go with the crayfish, I'll try to find the dwarf crays.