The 55G Lives Again!

Sakura

Yikes there are a lot of scratches on this tank! But oh well, what can you do? I am so not crazy about the standard 55g tanks because of how narrow they are. But it's more space for new fish, so I can't complain too much I guess. ;) The new Python arrived today so I got to fill it back up finally! We added 3/4 cap-full of ammonia to get started on the fishless cycle tonight! I suppose I should test to see what the level is at. I'm just going to keep this thread going as a little log to keep track of the progress.

c005.jpg

My "catfish" Samson and Roger

c008.jpg

c009.jpg

• Supporter

sakura, your cat's a beautiful.. they have beautiful shiny soft looking coats. they must be so comforting.. congratulations on setting the tank up again, can't wait to see it fully functioning..

Looks great. I always wonder if there are some products to fix scratches on glass?

Now... if you get it cycled BEFORE me, I will have a nervous breakdown! :rofl

I hope your cats can swim! :D Nice setup though, I like the black background. I'm thinking about having one myself, but the top and bottom rim of the tank are wood texture, not sure how good that would look with a black background.

:lol1:rofl I love the catfish!!! That is so CUTE!!!

Haha did you end up with a heap of fur in the tank?

The tank looks terrific! - I bet you cant wait to get the fishies in!

I am a huge fan of black backgrounds :goodjob

Nope luckily there was no fur in the tank! :)

I just tested tonight and ammonia is at about 1ppm. I'm going to do a 50% water change because I have to re-arrange some things, and then add more ammonia so it gets to 2ppm. Then I'm going to add a bunch of Tetra Safestart to the filter floss in the filters. Hopefully it gets started soon. I've got the new fish itch, and I've got it bad. :lol2

Alright, here it is today! I got the water level evened out (it was crooked before), I got the bubble wand working properly (it was clogged or something), and I added a few polished river stones. Ammonia is sitting at 2ppm, and I added a bunch of Tetra Safestart! Please hurry along, bbs! I'm going to have to start looking for plants for this tank. And saving up for a UV, I just love the one I have on the 75g tank.

j10.jpg

Well, still nothing happening. Even though I've added an entire 250ml bottle of Tetra Safestart over the past few days (it says it treats up to a 75 gallon tank). And to think it says you can add fish immediately :rolleyes: False advertising right there!

Last time I did a fishless cycle it took so long, but I'm hoping against hope that this time it will be quicker. I just would really prefer not to have to seed it with media from the other tank.

I tried Tetra Safestart before and it doesn't work for me also. Finished the whole bottle and nothing much happen. The moment I started using Nutrafin cycle, the cycle came alive and completed in about a month.

Edited by Jeffrey Teo (JT)

I have also tried Nutrafin Cycle a few times in the past, but that stuff didn't work at all for me. I've used SafeStart in the past and I found it works well if you are using it to combat a cycle bump. But it doesn't seem to work so well when you're starting completely fresh.