River Stones And Glass Pot

number20121

Today I was at Michael's and found these pretty river stones. The large stones (white/beige, brown and black) were in a 5lb jar for 4.99 and the smaller greenish ones (they look more gray in the photos though) came in a small bag for 2.99.

I also found for 99 cent votive holders in the shape of small flower pots. I have only one plant in my goldfish tank because it keeps floating away and I had to hold it down with a loose veggie clip, but I put some of the gravel in the glass flower pot and planted that one plant. I really like how it looks, and I might get some more of those plants now :)

riverstones.jpg

glasspott.jpg

I'm also glad to see Hugo's fins healing. I could beat myself for not realizing that she was going to be WAY to big for the small fishnet.

And Spicey's laser eyes make me laugh so hard :D

I love the look! It looks so natural! very nice job. Also, anubias and java ferns don't even needs to be potted, I tie them to the larger rocks :)

are you going to put a background?

I love the look! It looks so natural! very nice job. Also, anubias and java ferns don't even needs to be potted, I tie them to the larger rocks :)

are you going to put a background?

:yeah: I second this. PlantedAquariumsCentral is great. PLANTS GALORE She sells fabulous plants, I just got mine today and they are beautiful. Not to mention you get a good price for them. ;) Use the coupon code "pond" and get 10% off your order.

The thing with those leafy plants is that the fish destroy them within a few days. No joke.

The first time I bought Amazon Swords, everything was fine for about 6 weeks until the fish found out that the leaves are yummy. Ever since then... I tried a bunch of different plants, but they all got devoured and torn up.

This plant here - and I can't think of what it is called - is the only one they really don't like. Only the snails nibble on them occasionally but it seems they only do it on dying leaves. This plant is kind of stiff, but still soft and flexible when fish swim through. I want to get some more of those plants and put a pot in each corner of the tank, or maybe just in the back corners, I don't know.

But I love that these votiv candle holders are shaped like flower pots, that's so neat! And with the gravel inside, I really like that look, so clean. And the airstone buried at the bottom of it moves the water inside it.

About a background: for now I won't add one. As you see, the top and bottom rim of the tank are wood texture, almost the same color as the paneling in the room, and with the dark lines on the paneling the cords of the lights and filter blend in. The photo doesn't show it that well because of the use of the camera flash.

It kind of makes it look like the fish swim right IN my living room, if that makes any sense. I just don't get why the water looks a tint more greenish in the photo, because in reality it actually looks more magenta than the paneling because of the weird magenta-tinted tank lights.