Does This Sound Like A Red Flag?

I was at the LFS today for a couple of things, and my little boy fell in love with a little calico oranda we were watching. I'm not an expert by any means and I don't want to get a fish to be "his fish" unless I'm relatively sure it seems healthy. He would be oh so sad if something went wrong... So I told him I would have to talk to dad about it and we might be able to go back for him later. Dad will go along with whatever I think, but I'm here to consult Koko's!

Anyway, this little guy was chubby, but didn't seem floaty. He wasn't hanging out near the top or the bottom. He seemed active and kept coming to the front of the tank and looking at us. The only thing that I was a little concerned about was that he kept going and poking around by the filter intakes. It seemed like he was just checking it out and then going on about his business, but he did it several times. I also thought it might have just been the only interesting thing in the tank since there wasn't really any decor in there.

I didn't see any obviously sick (or dead) fish in any of the tanks, and everything seemed fairly well-maintained, but I don't have much experience with this particular store. So what do you think, does it sound like something to be concerned about?

Thanks!

I think it is worth a shot. Just make sure you are ready for a full 30day QT with salt and Prazi. Are you familiar with that? You do not want to put him with your other fish until he has been through an 'uneventful' QT. Also, has your other fish gotten the salt and Prazi yet?

No, the other fish hasn't been salted and prazied yet. I'm familiar with it as far as I've read about the process and I know what you're talking about. I have PraziPro, but I was thinking I'd wait until the tank finished cycling so I wouldn't have to worry about salt with ammonia and prazi lost to extra water changes. I had originally said we weren't getting a second fish until the tank finished cycling either. But it is going to take for.ev.er. I still don't even have elevated ammonia. And my little guy is only three and asks every day if the tank is "recycled" yet so he can get "his fish". If this is the one he has his heart set on I have a 10 gallon in storage I can get out, or a rubbermaid.

Since I still really need to treat the first fish, I don't suppose it would be at all acceptable to treat them both together if I go ahead and get this new one?

I am always afraid treating 2 fish together especially if they are from different sources and bought at different times. I think a tub would be a good idea.

The 'recycled' is wayyy too sweet. How adorable. :D

Yeah, he is pretty cute. And he is soooooo excited about this whole fish thing. I really want to make it a positive thing for him and show him that if you're careful fish aren't just gonna be temporary pets.

I figured that about treating them together. It just sounds easier ;) Would you go ahead and treat the one fish even with the tank cycling, or wait?

I think I'll maybe go back again later and watch the fish a little more. Is there anything specific I should look for? Other than floating or bottom sitting, gulping at the surface, or clamped fins, I'm not really sure what to watch for.

All of those things, but I agree, you could end up infecting him. It's ok to treat even if you don't have a cycled quarantine tank. However even though he 'looks' healthy doesn't mean that he is. He could have parasites and I can guarantee you he has flukes.

I suggest doing what Federica says, 30 day quarantine with prazi and salt if you do end up getting him. That way during the 30 days you can kill of any parasites or let any problems that arise show themselves before you add him with your other fish :)

I am always afraid treating 2 fish together especially if they are from different sources and bought at different times. I think a tub would be a good idea.

The 'recycled' is wayyy too sweet. How adorable. :D

I agree, you never know what they can pass to each other if neither has been treated.

Exactly! I quarantine new fish from different sources in different tanks rather than treat them all the same. Who knows that oranda may actually be 100% healthy and then another fish infected it instead with parasites. That's just citing the possible scenario which could endanger another party. You never know if they really carry particular pests or not so best treat them separately.:) Oh! Don't forget to use separate equipments such as the nets, hose or just sterilize them after use before using to another tank.

My fish quickly learned that the filter intake sucks in uneaten food and they pick at it all the time. Just a hungry little fish.

I have treated in an uncycled tank before. I just do daily water changes. A bit of a pain with the salt and prazi, but it makes things easier.

I am super cautious with QT, but I wouldn't blame you for wanting to QT them together to avoid expense and the time into daily water changes into two qts. It may go perfectly fine, but it may end up with two sick/dying fish. It is sort of a crapshoot and you just have to decide if it is worth the risk.

The only reason I didn't QT the first fish was because he was the only fish going into the tank, so I figured there was no one to infect and I could wait til the tank cycled. I think I'll just go ahead and start treating him anyway and deal with the water changes.

So we went ahead and got the little fish. :newfish He seems pretty perky. He's in a 10 gallon tank I pulled out of storage and cleaned up. He looks teeny in there! I'll try and get some pictures later. I'm gonna have to run out tonight and see if I can find some filter floss because I don't have any cartridges for the crappy little whisper filter I had with that tank.

I'm gonna go ahead and treat them both separately and maybe by the time they are done with quarantine my tank will be cycled and everyone can be happy. I know salting is dangerous when there is ammonia. I have a little ammonia in my tap water, which Prime detoxifies, but it still shows on my tests. So will that ammonia still react badly with salt?

How low is the ammonia? I'd add a teaspoon per gallon and stick there especially if you have 0.25 ammonia. When you detect it again, do another water change to return it to zero and redose salt.

Good luck and hope everything goes well.:newfish:heart

Oh. Can you add plants to help with the water quality? Dip them in potassium permanganate or bleach first. The Egeria densa would be your best bet. Hope though it'll survive the salt.

Heh. I did add some plants in the 30 gallon tank. Anacharis (bleached first). They are pretty sad looking indeed. I think they weren't getting enough light. I replaced the bulb a couple days ago and they seem to be trying to recover, but I don't think they're going to make it. And they haven't changed my water readings any.

Since the ammonia is bound and its just sort of a "false" reading on the test I was hoping it wouldn't matter with the salt?

I'd just add the salt and keep the ammonia at least on that level or even better, zero if possible. The Prime will help detoxify in the meantime. Add the new plants when you have them.

Here's the ammonia toxicity table.

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/AmmoniaTox.html

I'm having the worst time getting pictures of this little guy! I'll try again later. He seems to be doing fine so far. He is having a blast playing in the bubbles.

I did big water changes and salted both tanks to .1% this evening. I wanted to watch them for a few hours with the salt before dosing the Prazi. The little one doesn't seem affected at all. The other fish has been doing a bit of bottom sitting, though only for short periods. Should I be worried? Go ahead and give the Prazi?