Possible Fracture Of The Spine?

claire_uk

My mum rang me earlier to say that something was wrong with Fletch, my shubunkin. I have just come home to find him curved, but not at the bottom, and still active. Is it possible that he could have fractured his spine if he has swam erratically and banged into something? He doesnt seem to stressed out at the moment, just hanging around. I would normally associate curving with a very ill fish and they would go to the bottom. he is showing no other outward signs of disease and it is only affecting him, this has only occured between 8am and 2pm.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5-10

Ph 7.2

56 gallon tank filtered with Tetratec 1200 (1200 lph) and Fluval 305 (700-1000 lph)

Planted tank

Fed a varied diet of froozen foods, pellets, fresh

Any input is much appreciated.

Im just doing a small water change and cleaning one of the filters, as I planned to. But just noticed that his lips are quivering, I know this is a sign of him dying, so I dont think he has much longer to live and doubt he will last the night, I just wish I knew what happened to him, is it also possible that he banged his head and caused damge that way?

I have never come across this before. Silly fish, with his uber long tail!

I thought that, but wouldnt the others be affected, and if I put my hand in the tank owuldnt I feel it? I only have external filters attached to a surge protector in the wall.

Thanks guys. I know it was so sudden, but I think knowing him, he has got too excited and banged into something. Also I dont think his huge tail is helping matters as it will be weighing him down.

I know it probably isnt treatable and the best thing I can do is to euthanise him, but at the moment he is still active and doesnt look to be stressed.

I wouldn't say it was electric shock as no other fish are effected and there is nothing electrical in the tank, and also I have had my hands in the tank and felt nothing. he is bent to the left from front on.

I do think he has damaged himself by swimming into something.

• Supporter

oh no claire.. that's horrible news.. but i think that posting pics may be a good idea at this stage as the water is pristine.. post from all angles just incase the mods spot something abnormal and treatable..

big hugs of comfort to you!!

Not beautiful Fletch :undecided: Claire, this is very sad :(

Is it possible he raced and crashed into the heater causing him alone to get a shock? No heater?? :unsure:

Otherwise, has there been anything different going on? Any red marks or external injury besides the curving? Is he bottom sitting or swimming round? Is he eating? Oh dear, I really am hoping for the best news..:heart

No other external symptoms, no redness, nothing, so I cant see it being bacterial. He is still swimming around this morning, and even greeted me for food with the others, but still curved, but not any more than he was last night.

I do geniunly think he banged hard into either the wall, lid or wood and damaged himself, as I have seen him race quite fast before, especially when the boys are chasing Mika the female.

I will email the local university vet and see what they think, and if they dont think anything can be done I will take him to be euthanised.

It is very sad, poor Fletch, he isnt even clamping any of his fins.

I will try to get some pics up shortly.

The question is quality of life in this position. And will he become stressed from not being able to swim how he should. Eventually I would assume it will be detrimental to his health, and how long should I let him stay like this.

Trust me it is not an easy decision to make, and one that I wont be taking lightly if I do decide to, I have had to make this decision once before, and it wasnt nice, but you have to keep in mind what is best for the fish and can they live with a disability such as this.

My previous decision was a little easier as I had a fish in full dropsy with no chance of recovery who was slowly getting worse, this time there are more considerations.

Yes, of course. If the fish suffers, then to euthanize it is the right choice. I am just wondering if Fletch's life quality is that much affected by being the way he is now. Sure, it might affect him more in the future, but as long as he is looking like he is enjoying his little life...

But yeah, I'm sure you know what you are doing :)

And I know it is a hard decision, I had pets since I was little, and over the years cats had to be euthanized because they were doing not well at all. I just hate stuff like that, why do innocent animals have to suffer? :(

I understand where you are coming from, I just wanted to state all the reasons why I would, for now though he is eating and active, once he stops doing both of those then i will take that decision. He can rest on the big leaves so as he is not on the bottom of the tank, he seems to be able to move himself pretty well at the moment too, but i will be keeping a very close eye on him.

I feel that I seem to get the oddments when it comes to fish, lol. I dont mean that in a nasty way. They are sent to test me!

Yeah, sure, if he is not feeling well anymore. I might have misunderstood your other post because it seemed to me that you were going to euthanize him either way, even if he is eating and acting fine. Ah, language issues FTW. :D

I'm so sorry about the poor guy. Yes if he's eating that's good...But watch to see if he's struggling and getting tired.

Don't blame yourself :( As for single tails in ponds it's better to keep them there since they eventually do need more space to turn around and they love darting about. Have you seen any of those little patio ponds that are premade?

I have a pond, his brother is in there as he was far too boistrous for a tank, plus Fletch has nearly jumped out of the tank before when I have been catching them to move tanks etc. He has always been a darter! lol. I wouldnt trust Fletch in a pond to be honest, even with a net on.

I think I will have to make a decision this week, as he hasnt been moving about too much today that I have seen before and after work. just laying in the plants. :-(

• Supporter

claire, i'm thinking of you and fletch all the time.. i check your updates every day and frequently too.. i so hoped this was going to get better :( fletch is such a beauty.. as an experienced aquarist that you have shown us, i know you will make the right decision for fletch when that time comes.. you're an inspiration..