Native Fish

Jmoya

Heres a question you guys dont here everyday. Im interested in keeping native fish. Probably sunfish longear to be exact. There are similar to cichlids in temperment but are more nice. Several can live together happily. All im asking is do you guys have any experience and how heavy should stocking be. Thanks for any and all help

Well I don't know much about the species but unless you can buy them from a pet store or breeder (bred in captivity) I don't think keeping them would be a good idea. Fish that are from the wild rarely thrive in aquariums, we just can't reproduce their environment. :(

Good point. I would have to get em as juveniles to make sure they adapt. And there is a small organization called the "north american native fish association" hence called the nanfa. They say they make good aquarium fish but in the aquarium are aggressive and need lots of cover. Those are can dos. Specific water params cant be given since it depends on where they come from. And they generaly can be weaned onto pellets and easily if young.

Honestly, I think captive bred is the way to go. Depleting natural fish populations is not a good thing.

So if you do want to keep native fish, make sure to research extensively their place in the food web and their numbers in the wild. Make sure you aren't contributing the practice of overharvesting fish.

Actually they have tendency to overpopulate an area quickly he not fished significantly because bass, their natural predators, cant keep up. I found i book on natives called the fascinating fresh water fish book. It has good info. And pics but not much on stocking. I may consider mosquitofish killfish or redhead minnows or maybe shiners instead. Mosquito and killfish are related to guppys and over livebearers and shiners are related to goldfish. All those are peaceful.

http://www.aquaculturestore.com/fwverts.html

Check out this link if you want to see a huge selection of native freshwater fish for sale! They are already adjusted to living in tanks and eat live, frozen or flake food. My favorite are the little madtom catfish since they stay small, like 3 inches, and are good for aquariums. But this place has lots of minnows, killis, shiners, darters, etc, AND it says they have sunfish also.