Replacing The Expensive Filter Packs

Jmoya

Have you ever had a hang over the back filter that seems like a hang over the back money eater. Ya those carbon filter packs are expensive. Thats my problem. Im sick of 'em really but have no alternative. I know some people have filters where sponges do the trick. Can i do this or is it impossible for a hob.

I have like 10. One on the goldie tank was just replaced by an AC since it made me MAD lol The second will be going in a couple of weeks once the first gets established.

Oh, and since I have 10. Those stupid economy packs only last for a week. That's $18 a week. I don't know why I never did the math before.

Edited by ashlee18

I would suggest cutting open the pack and emptying the carbon out of it. You really don't need carbon and for many fish it can cause problems. The filter pack (the spongy cloth part that holds the carbon) can last for forever. I only change mine when it is completely falling apart. And you can buy media in sheets at some fish stores and cut those to size.

I would suggest cutting open the pack and emptying the carbon out of it. You really don't need carbon and for many fish it can cause problems. The filter pack (the spongy cloth part that holds the carbon) can last for forever. I only change mine when it is completely falling apart. And you can buy media in sheets at some fish stores and cut those to size.

:exactly

And you don't need to throw filter inserts out when you clean the tank like they tell you on the packages...that's just to make money! Just rinse them with tank water until, like amy said, they're falling apart. Generally the longer you keep them the better because they grow more good bacteria.

• Admin

I have two Penguins on my 50 gal tank, One filter I use the filter packs the other filter I use filter floss in it instead. This way I save on money :)

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4136+4231&pcatid=4231

This you can cut to size :)