Anyway To Cycle Before I Get The Stand?

OK.... So I have all my equipment to get my 50g tank cycling EXCEPT the stand. And its not going to arrive for 2 weeks! Is there anyway to start cycling it without it? Like start cycling then empty some water and lift it on the stand and then add some more? Or would that start the process over. ANY way I could?

I just wanna do it ASAP because I have a Lionhead I fell in LOVE with at a petstore that I really want and they wont let me pre-pay for him. And I wanna get it cycled soon so I can get the little bugger! He's been there for 6 months so I should be ok but he is too sweet to risk waiting an extra two weeks to wait for a stand :(

Plus my Oranda in his 10g tank really would like an upgrade as well! :)

THANKS!

I wonder if it would work that you cycle the tank now, get a couple big tubs, when the stand arrives you fill the tubs with as much tank water as possible, put the filter media and gravel and whatever in the tub, set the tank up on the stand and put everything back in.

That's at least how I would do it, but I'm new to this, so yeah...

you can do a fishless cycle in the set up tank minus the stand. when the stand arrives you can just drain the tank and put it on the stand and refill+replug everything :) (most of the bacteria will be in the filters anyways)

Ok, Tub thing is brilliant. Ha, idk how I didn't think of that!!!

But it sounds like it doesn't even matter if I get rid of the water in the tank once the stand comes? Because its all in the filter?

Sorry, I am trying to figure out this cycle stuff and it is just mind boggling to me!

I didn't cycle my first tank so its going to be my first time.

What is the fastest way to do it? I have gravel and an ornament in my current tank I could put in it. I can't use the old filter since he will still be in it but I will obviously have my new one. I use pure ammonia? No fish? What's the fastest? Or since I already have ammonia on the gravel and ornaments do I need to add anything? My tap water has 3ppm of ammonia too. So would I not add prime to it because I will want ammonia?

I also have Stability, if that speeds it up.

What's the fastest yet safe way to do it?

Wait, you already got a tank up and running right now? Again, just thinking, but maybe if you do like a big water change in your old tank but keep the water and use it in the new tank, so there already is some ammonia, bacteria etc in the new tank. This would jump start your cycle.

Maybe.

I recently switched from a 20gallon to a 55gallon tank, I never cycled the new one but moved the gravel and ornament and almost all of the water to the new tank, as well as part of the filter media. Filled it up with fresh water, put the fish in - done.

This was actually recommended to me on this forum :)

Edited by Oerba Yun Fang

WHAT!! So I might not even have to cycle? And you had no problems doing that?

That leads me to my question... Wouldnt adding my gravel, ornaments, water, old filter, and then adding new water and new filter... just be like doing a water change? But just adding another filter? And after awhile take the old filter out? Would this be safe?

I don't mean to do this lazy, so if it is going to be hurtful towards my fish, I definitely don't want to.

Suggestions anyone?

Wait for some of the people with more experience, but yeah, that is how I did it. It equals a big water change, considering that it was 30% of old water and the rest new water.

I intentionally even re-used waste when I used the gravel vacuum to siphon the water out of the old tank.

Are you moving the fish from your old tank to the new one, or will the new tank be home to completely new fish?

If it is just a larger home for fish you already got, then I guess you can do it the way I did. I did not have any problems, I tested the water and the parameters were fine every time.

Again, I am not a pro though. I can't guarantee that it will work for you as well, maybe I was just lucky.

The beneficial bacteria is in the filter media,not the water.Adding water from the old tank will not transfer the beneficial bacteria to the new tank.

You can do a fishless cycle on the new tank,using the amonia method,and then reset it up when the stand comes.

You allways want to use a water conditioner that neutralizes chlorine when cycling a tank, because chlorine will kill the beneficial bacteria.

No matter which way you are going to do it, once you start cycling the filter should not be turned off for more than 30 minutes. Anything longer than that the bacteria will start to die when it does not have enough oxygen in the water when the water in the filter in not moving.