Bubbles Too Small?

number20121

My bubble wand in the goldfish tank is producing really fine air bubbles, they are so small that there is literally a cloud of bubbles floating in the tank.

Can this be bothersome for the fish, aside from the occasion tickle when bubbles are stuck to them?

http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j269/EileenGalvin/?action=view&current=bubbles.mp4

According to Rick Hess in "Fancy Goldfish," finer bubbles are better because they create greater oxygen exchange at the water's surface.

Fine bubbles fine for the fish -- Susan (Kukana) has a great picture of her orandas in a giant cloud of bubbles from her Hydor Ario 4 aerator. We should ask her to post it again!

I have those in my tank. :) Fine bubbles are good because they oxygenate the water. You might want to have a mix of both fine bubbles and larger bubbles. The larger bubbles pop at the top and help with gas exchange.

Alright then. I got two airstones in the corners at the opposite end of the tank. Not sure if you can see them well in the video, but they produce big bubbles and these go straight up. The water from the filter splashes back into the tank and creates some bubbles, and on the right they got the bubble wand.

Just wanted to make sure that fine bubbles are not going to cause some weird problems. My fish sure do love playing in them though.

My airpump's not working at the moment, so I've dropped the water level about 1.5" and taken the spray bar off the canister outlet so the water drops straight down like out of a tap. It makes a wide variety of sizes of bubbles, and I also have tiny ones floating freely round the tank. There's pros to both bubble sizes; fine bubbles diffuse into the water easier as they have a higher surface area to volume ratio, bigger bubbles tend to pop at the surface more so they create more surface agitation, prevent the surface becoming stagnant and let more oxygen in that way. Fine bubbles are probably more important in bigger, deeper tanks as the surface absorbed oxygen only goes down so far and you can get an oxygen depleted layer near the bottom if your tank water isn't well-mixed enough, particularly if you have a lot of current breakers like plants and ornaments. A mix is best in my opinion, though usually I just have a bubble curtain with roughly even sized small-ish bubbles and I set my internal and canister filters up so the outlets are just below the surface and give a lot of surface agitation. When it's all going there are literally waves...no oxygen shortages in my tank!

Well, I guess my tank water is oxygenated well then. The fine bubbles from the right end slowly float over to the left where the current and larger bubbles from the filter push the fine bubbles down to the bottom of the tank. When I look closely I can see a big circle of bubbles in the tank!

Now THAT is some good aeration! :D

(Also, this is the first time I've seen Blacky Fishie's legendary silky tail in action... I'm in love heartpump.gif)

Thanks, and... thanks! :D I turned the bubble wall down a tiny bit though, because the current made it a bit tough on Chibi. I just put a knot in it. Since this outlet of the aerator has a T valve installed, it leads a bit more air into the tropical tank now, and a little bit less into the goldfish tank.

Super Aerator for the win. :D