Light On Or Off?

tarynator

So it's the long weekend here in Canadaland and I'll be gone for about 4 days. I was just wondering, when leaving your fish for a while do you typically leave the hood light on or off? It's one of those old ones you have to hold in for a few seconds to warm up, so I can't get a timer.

off, definitly. Your fish won't be able to sleep with it on, and they don't need a huge amount of light to see with when they're awake. Most of the reason we keep lights on our tanks is so WE can see THEM better, and for any live plants we have.

Are there any lives plants in the tank at all or any algae? You'll want to be careful because when I went to London for a week and left the light off, the algae died and killed my cycle.

Oooo, I like the desk lamp idea, I might do that! There's no live plants, just fishies. Problem is I live in a [very] shared house and I lock up my room when I'm gone because I'm paranoid, haha. And I definitely don't wanna leave them in the dark for 4 days! Right, where's my lamp...

My fish are in a reasonably lit room, but they really do rely on the light, if it's off, my telescope has this tilt towards the nearest window, like he's got dropsy haha :whatjust: and both of them are really very mellow if the light doesn't stay on, the tank used to be in my room so when i was asleep, they were also.

But I think it would be beneficial to find some way to give them a sleep wake cycle.

Edited by ashv20