Insta-Cycled Tank?

So I just got home after all the *** that's happened over the past week, and checked my water fist thing (who wouldn't after leaving an uncycled tank for 4-5 days?)... There's brown gunk in the filters, and I'm registering nitrAtes! Now, my API kit isn't here yet (or if it is, it's in the mail box, which I don't have a key to) so I'm still relying on those nasty strips, but nitrIte is 0, and my little ammonia thingy is still the "safe" color... Is it possible to "insta-cycle" a tank if you seed the filters with some old gravel and have it VERY under-stocked?

I haven't had to cycle a tank since my first one. Any time I've started a new tank, I've added water and media from established tanks and it's just taken over night, add fish, extra water changes and not even a bump :)

• Supporter

okay.. don't count your chickens before they hatch.. wait for the API drops test kit.. we're soooo not fond of the inaccuracy of the strips test.. but i hope it is how you suspect.. that would just be amazingly craaaaazzzzy :krazy:

LOL

Ok, so official results are:

Ammonia 0-0.25

NitrIte =0

NitrAte about 5.0

pH 6.6-7.0

ammonia and pH were a little difficult for me to call, partially due to how tired I am, and partially due to lighting, but it's looking like my tank really IS cycled, or nearly so. I'll double check in the morning when there's better light, but I'm pretty sure this is accurate :D Pic thread will be updated tomorrow after I do a little more "playing" with the rocks I got from BF's mom and move one of the air stones away from a filter intake (oops!). I might even take the time to clean up the fake plants to help hide the airlines and intakes... we'll see what I feel like after moving those big rocks! I'll also be testing the tap water to get an accurate idea of what it's like tomorrow since I've only done that with the strips... once... lol. If I'm feeling REALLY ambitious, I'll even move the media bags containing my seed gravel into the canister since I only had two and used them on the HoBs before I left. Time for me to stop rambling and sleep, talk to y'all in the morning-time!

M'kay, so I'm pretty sure my tank is fully cycled, results from this morning were pH 6.8, and I THINK ammonia was zero. Not sure, because it was slightly greener than the color on the card, but I've read a couple of places that the API ammonia test DOES sometimes read slightly green at true zero instead of yellow. Awesome for me, my tank is all nice and cycled already! I's a happy fish keeper!