Woo Hooo!

Was it before or after a water change? Is tank heavily planted? I'm concerned with zero nitrate.:unsure:

Agreed. My only tank that does 0/0/0 is heavily planted with 1000gph filtration. And its been running for over a year.

Yes, well...not exactly heavily but I have several (about 6 or 7) ancharis (sp) floating at the top and I have two willow moss balls anchored to river rocks. Also 3 TINY baby java ferns just starting out. I did the water change around noon today and did the test about an hour ago (10 pm) Should I do another nitrate test??? maybe I did it wrong somehow. I'm still getting used to the API master test kit, shake now, wait 1 minute, turn upside down, add 10 drops, shake vigorously LOL Maybe I messed it up somehow.

Yes, well...not exactly heavily but I have several (about 6 or 7) ancharis (sp) floating at the top and I have two willow moss balls anchored to river rocks. Also 3 TINY baby java ferns just starting out. I did the water change around noon today and did the test about an hour ago (10 pm) Should I do another nitrate test??? maybe I did it wrong somehow. I'm still getting used to the API master test kit, shake now, wait 1 minute, turn upside down, add 10 drops, shake vigorously LOL Maybe I messed it up somehow.

I'm going to go do another nitrate test, you've got me wondering. Be back SOON!

This Nitrate test also concluded a reading of 0 ppm. I made sure I followed the directions EXACTLY. Should I be worried? I know there has got to be bb in there. I only change the filter cartridges, never the media, and I have also added API stress zyme. For the past week and a half I have been dealing with high nitrite levels due to a cycle bump, so I've been taking every precaution. The water change today was to get most of the salt that I put it yesterday's water change (researched that it was helpful in getting rid of nitrite.) At any rate...should I stop wc's for a while and keep testing???

Here I was all excited with my reading :(

• Supporter

aaawwww.. LOL.. i understand where you're at.. i too had a false alarm.. with 0 nitrates, unless heavily planted, there's no cycle.. but that doesn't mean it's not around the corner.. one of my tanks cycled in 5 days!! only gawd knows why!

aaawwww.. LOL.. i understand where you're at.. i too had a false alarm.. with 0 nitrates, unless heavily planted, there's no cycle.. but that doesn't mean it's not around the corner.. one of my tanks cycled in 5 days!! only gawd knows why!

So...what are you saying exactly? lol I have to start ALL over again?? I do have several plants in there, but I wouldn't call it an underwater jungle..yet. Should I stop water changing for a while?? I'm completely lost as to what to do next. HELP.

• Supporter

no no.. i am no expert in cycling.. i will pm a mod to come help.. i am just saying that in my experience that without a nitrate count in a non heavily planted tank, there is no cycle.. but that does not mean there isn't one developing..

no no.. i am no expert in cycling.. i will pm a mod to come help.. i am just saying that in my experience that without a nitrate count in a non heavily planted tank, there is no cycle.. but that does not mean there isn't one developing..

Oh, you have no idea how close to crying I am right now LOL...seriously, I'm pregnant and overly emotional and I've been working on this for what seems like FOREVER. But I'm sure you're right...I'm sure I have no cycle, why would I? I've only been putting my heart and soul into getting my fishers healthy and happy...LMBO sorry, I'm throwing a pity party and you're invited LOL

• Supporter

Oh, you have no idea how close to crying I am right now LOL...seriously, I'm pregnant and overly emotional and I've been working on this for what seems like FOREVER. But I'm sure you're right...I'm sure I have no cycle, why would I? I've only been putting my heart and soul into getting my fishers healthy and happy...LMBO sorry, I'm throwing a pity party and you're invited LOL

sweetness, i confirm as being your first guest.. any party in my zany life at the moment is something i want to be at.. i'm with you. LOL..

The result is expected. You have those dang plants that absorb nitrate fast. That's good enough for me. You don't have to worry now.:D

REALLY???????? Like seriously I don't have to worry? LOL So what do I do now? Sit back and enjoy my clean tank and healthy fish?? Should I continue wc's once a day or lower it down now to once a week??? Oh thank you.

I personally think your tank is doing fine. You said you were dealing with a nitrite bump prior to this. The plants will still consume the nitrate if not the anaerobic bacteria that breaks it down to nitrogen gas.

And congratulations! Please let us know when you're due for birth.:)

sweetness, i confirm as being your first guest.. any party in my zany life at the moment is something i want to be at.. i'm with you. LOL..

LMAO...woo hooo Party of two!! Thanks for joining me!! :)

The water changes depend mostly with your water parameters. Your fish tend to be happier with clean water. I'd say 3x a week water change is sufficient enough. Adding plants will help with the nitrate absorption.

I would continue to check your water parameters daily to make sure there is no ammonia in the water. Test your water both before and after a water change. How many fish are in the tank? :)

I personally think your tank is doing fine. You said you were dealing with a nitrite bump prior to this. The plants will still consume the nitrate if not the anaerobic bacteria that breaks it down to nitrogen gas.

And congratulations! Please let us know when you're due for birth.:)

Phew!!

Thanks a million!

And I'm due the 31st of March. Went for an early gender scan on the 4th of October with no luck. Baby wouldn't wake up and spread legs for NOTHING!! lol so, I get to wait until Nov. 1st to find out what flavor it is LOL

I would continue to check your water parameters daily to make sure there is no ammonia in the water. Test your water both before and after a water change. How many fish are in the tank? :)

I still have only the two moors in my bare bottom, planted 10 gallon. The filtration keeps things sparkling clean and I use an algae remover. I wont have have the bigger tank until beginning to middle November. I don't mind frequent water changes as long as everyone is healthy, as a matter of fact I love the interaction and so do they! As far as I'm concerned, Stefan and Urkel are two of the happiest fish I know. (not that I know many fish lol)

And they're still small so...as I see it (granted I'm no expert) all is well in my 10 gallon.

I still have only the two moors in my bare bottom, planted 10 gallon. The filtration keeps things sparkling clean and I use an algae remover. I wont have have the bigger tank until beginning to middle November. I don't mind frequent water changes as long as everyone is healthy, as a matter of fact I love the interaction and so do they! As far as I'm concerned, Stefan and Urkel are two of the happiest fish (along with all of yours I'm sure :) )

And they're still small so...as I see it (granted I'm no expert) all is well in my 10 gallon.

And just check for ammonia on a daily basis? how often should I check everything else?

Edited by AquaLove

P.S. I will take pics for you all tomorrow when I get my camera's battery charged. I'm proud of it :)

Speaking of, I think there should be a thread for pictures of everyone's tank(s). If there is one in existence already, please point the way. If not...we should definitely pin one.

I'd LOVE to look through everyone's tanks, and show off my own.

:)

I would do as Lupin suggest and do 3x a week water changes just to be on the safe side. Might as well check for nitrite as well on a daily basis too. You could have a cycle bump at any time if things go amiss. What kind of algae remover is it?

P.S. I will take pics for you all tomorrow when I get my camera's battery charged. I'm proud of it :)

Speaking of, I think there should be a thread for pictures of everyone's tank(s). If there is one in existence already, please point the way. If not...we should definitely pin one.

Here is the link to the Tank Photos and Video Section

I would do as Lupin suggest and do 3x a week water changes just to be on the safe side. Might as well check for nitrite as well on a daily basis too. You could have a cycle bump at any time if things go amiss. What kind of algae remover is it?

It's magnetic with a type of yellow felt that removes the algae. I LOVE it! keeps the glass sparkling clean!

Here is the link to the Tank Photos and Video Section

TOO COOL lol Thank you so much!!

:D Good. Is it green algae or brown? You might actually want to keep the green if you're getting it. If you are you are lucky. make sure you don't use chemical algae removers. They can kill your beneficial bacteria and your cycle.