Treating A Salt Intolerant Fish

seheap

Ok, I wanted to post here, because I know there are a few of you guys out there with salt intolerant fish (like me) and need suggestions on how to treat them.

So my dilemma is Tanuki, extremely salt intolerant, has had a wound for about a week and a half now that I thought was just a simple bacterial attack. So I treated him with neosporin for a week and left it. The wound has turned more white which I took to be a good sign that it was healing.

So I look at him today and he has ANOTHER one of the same thing on the opposite side.

I am really at a loss as to what this could be. He is acting 100% normal and isn't flashing or anything! I have attached a picture.

I really am at a loss. I swabbed with HP and applied Neosporin. Not sure what else I can do. I'm thinking maybe Melafix? Just grabbing at straws here!

My box:

[*]Test Results for the Following:

[*]Ammonia Level? 0.25ppm (because I forgot the prime when I did my water change and wiped out a good portion of my cycle. :( ) It's been taken care of.

[*]Nitrite Level? 0ppm

[*]Nitrate level? 0ppm

[*]Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 8.4

[*]Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)? 7.4

[*]Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API

[*]Water temperature? around 76*F

[*]Tank size (how many gals.) and how long has it been running? 65g, media has been running for over two years now, but the snafu with the Prime gave me a minor set-back

[*]What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Two cannisters: 350gph and 300gph

[*]How often do you change the water and how much? every week, at least 50% (just did a 100% change on Sunday)

[*]How many fish in the tank and their size? 5. all under 5 inches.

[*]What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

[*]What do you feed your fish and how often? Twice a day, assorted frozen and Hikari pellets

[*]Any new fish added to the tank? No.

[*]Any medications added to the tank? No.

[*]Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See above, and picture.

[*]Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? no.

I also had a very mysterious death this weekend. One of my smaller fish was doing 100% fine Saturday night and I woke up Sunday to find him dead. No marks, just dead. (This was before the 100% WC that I forgot to Prime.)

Is this possibly related?

PICTURES:

New sore

06be0137.jpg

Old sore: (note the white area in the middle. I'm 99% sure this is healing tissue.)

e6cf87e1.jpg

The white is good as it means new skin is growing and the wounds healing. Pottassium permaganate might work like the captain stated above.

Do you guys think I should do a dip or a bath of PP?

The wounds have both gotten quite a bit bigger. :( But Tanuki is still acting 100% fine. :)

I think what LionChu does is make a sort of 'paste' out of it. Maybe you should ask him. I think he adds a tiny bit of water to the crystals until they become like a paste. Then he applies it to the wound. Not sure if he then washes it off or leaves it? You are better off asking him :)

Oh in that case I guess you would do a dip? Not sure if it is as 'safe'. The good thing with the paste probably is that is doesn't get everywhere. :)