Should I Replace My Uv Sterilizer?

I was trying to fix something in my tank a few minutes ago, and while my arm was in the water, every time i touched the plastic rim on the tank I would get this sharp pain like it was cutting me, I couldnt figure out why, then the tank started shocking me not just on the rim, so I figured out that there was some kind of electric current. i unplugged everything and then plugged it all back in one by one until it shocked me again, and it turns out to be my submariner underwater UV sterilizer. the thing is practically brand new! i've only had it for 3 months or so. I left it plugged in for now since its not harming the fish and put a sign on the tank telling people not to touch it lol. the question is, should I replace the whole thing? is there a way to fix it, or should i just exchange it for a new one?

I think you should turn it off right now even though it doesn't seem to be harming the fish so far. It might not be harming them now, but it could get worse and zap them all... Then I'd call customer service from wherever you bought it and tell them about the problem. Since it's only a few months old, it seems like they should replace it.

ok sounds good, i'll unplug it later tonight i just put in a new fish so i'd like to keep it on just a little longer just incase :P, and i'll go ahead and email or call the customer service.

ok i guess i will email them since their customer service is about to close

Edited by Shamu23

Wow...I was just considering getting the same UV sterilizer.

u should still go ahead and get it, i love mine it works well, obviously not all of them always work perfect, that can happen with any product, before this happened it worked great :)

A lot of times companies will replace defective equipment with no hassle and not even a shipping charge!

Let us know how it turns out.

I have read that this can happen with these sterlizers. If you put a ring of sealant around the connections it is supposed to help. But call the company first and let us know what happens. I've been thinking about one of these as well.