Should I Do A Water Change?

Ok, the tank has been running 8 days. I last did a partial water change a week ago. There is one fish in the 30 gallon tank.

The prameters on my tap water are:

pH 7.8 (rises to 8.2 after aging)

Ammonia almost .25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

I'm using Prime, but even after I treat the tap water the ammonia and nitrates still show on the test, so I can't really get a zero reading. I've been testing the tank water every day (API drop kit)and have yet to see ammonia go above .25. The tank parameters as of today are:

Temp 70*F

pH 8.2

Ammonia .25

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 5

I tested some bottled water today just to make sure the test could show different numbers, and did get zeros on that. So is it safe to assume that the ammonia reading is still basically the bound ammonia from the tap? Is there any reason to do a water change? Will my tank ever cycle? I know lower temps can slow down the growth of the beneficial bacteria, but that wouldn't have anything to do with ammonia production, right? Shouldn't I still be seeing ammonia by now?

Thanks!

It is perfectly normal to still be seeing ammonia on day 8. It sometime just takes longer for some tanks. I think as long as the ammonia is below .25 you are ok. But it has been so long since I have had to cycle a tank, I don't know 100%.

• Admin

Prime can cause false readings on the API test kits, its showing the bond ammonia. Since this is tank has just been started and you got some nitrates in there, it getting there. I would do a 30% water change to get the ammonia down, Is there any fish in there?

I know its normal to still be seeing ammonia at this point. What I'm really not getting is that the ammonia I'm seeing is not increasing at all yet. And it is not above the level it comes from my tap. The nitrates and ammonia are both at the same level as my tap water.

And Koko, yes, one fish. Apparently not a very dirty fish... Will a water change really do any good since the ammonia is the same in my tap water?

Edited by flutterbudget

• Admin

Oh so this is in your tab already then?

If so then I would just do a 10% water change to give the fish some new water, but then do not clean the filter pads nor gravel siphon... It might just be taking its time :(

I did a small water change and while the water level was down a bit, I moved a few things around. The rocks and filter intakes are starting to feel a bit slimy, but there is no algae or anything visible. Just wanted to check that that isn't something to worry about at this point?

Edited by flutterbudget

No, nothing smells like anything. I sniffed the filter media even. And my hands didn't smell funny after coming out of the tank or anything. I just wouldn't want to be growing bad things instead of good things, so I thought I'd ask.