Oranda Color Question

flutterbudget

I know I saw this somewhere the other day, but now that I want to look it up I can't seem to find it. :krazy:

I saw a tiny little Oranda today that was so cute I might have to go back and get him. He's black on top and yellow on the bottom with a black wen, and I can't remember what that color usually turns into. Will it go orange? Or something else?

Thanks!

That's what I was afraid of. Orange is really the only color I'm not keen on. I have one very orange fish right now, and I'd rather have a little variety. The label on the tank said "red and black oranda", but I don't trust the labels...

I see that all the time, and technically they're telling the truth, because at that exact moment, it is indeed a red and black fish. But they sure don't tell you how they're likely to turn out, do they? And actually, I've found that most LFS employees don't have a clue about the fact that black is an unstable color in goldfish.

I sometimes see people choosing red and black goldfish for their color patterns, and I just know they're going to be disappointed when their adorable goldie loses his black mustache, or black fins, or whatever.

If you're looking for nice contrast-y color that's more likely to stick, you might want to try to find a calico goldfish. They're much more likely to keep their black (although virtually all of them will have some amount of red/orange).

That's not exactly true, Lupin.

It will probably have an intermediate yellow stage, but will also most likely darken over time to an orange, or maybe even light red/dark orange.

Only time will tell.

I was actually looking to see if there were any calicos when I went in there. I'm not necessarily looking to get one right this minute, but calico is what I had in mind. That little guy was just cute. I'm sure you all know how that goes. And I don't mind some red/orange. I'd just like some other colors too. There are so many pretty fishies out there, I'd rather not have all one color.

On another note, my litte boy (3) has been describing to me over the last few days the ideal fish he wants to have. It's taken me quite a few conversations to work out what he's describing, but it seems what he wants is a white oranda with black spots all over and a black wen. I don't think this fish exists, but I think its cute that he has such a strong opinion. I'm trying to convince him that calicos have lovely spots... ;)