Is It Okay To Switch Up Foods Every Now And Then?

whitner

I recently bought Hikari Lionhead and my fish love it, of course. But I still have plenty of the Sera Goldy left. Is it okay to switch foods every so often, or should my fish be fed only one type of food at a time. I'd hate to throw the Sera out. I've not had great results with it (that I can tell) so I decided to buy Hikari. Will changing it up make a difference in their growth?

I used to have gel food in the freezer, but it got freezer burn so I pitched it. I was really just wondering about different pellets. They love cucumber, not big fans of lettuce, and they love peas!

Yep, variety is very good for them. It's good for our other pets, too -- I rotate between several brands of food for my dogs. In the old days, vets would tell you to stick with only one food because it would upset the dog's stomach to switch abruptly. It only upsets their tummies if they've eaten just one food for a long period of time -- you'd feel sick too if you ate only one food every day for a year, and then suddenly had something else. But if you feed a variety, their systems handle it beautifully (as do ours).

And as BuggyBear said, feeding a variety makes sure you've covered all the bases nutrition-wise. One food could be higher in a certain vitamin or lower in a particular mineral, and over long periods of time that can have consequences if you just feed one thing.

I'd be a very unhappy camper if I had to eat the same food day in and day out. Well, if it was pizza I may have to think about it.... :tomato:

So the answer is YES! Switch 'em! Your goldfish will thank you for it!

• 2 weeks later...

**Just an idea**

Rather than tossing out the older food "recycle" it!!

I took two containers of food to the local park that has a pond with fish in it. I fed them the food....talk about a feeding frenzy!! Also one of the containers was large pellets & the ducks REALLY like those!!!!